Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,605   Posts: 1,622,539   Online: 1124

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The shape of the negative determines the print dimensions. I tend to maintain composition integrity and avoid throwing away neg real estate. The subject often determines what shape format I use.

When I instructed new students I steered them to make speed easel 5x7s from small format. For practical reasons that size reduced paper cost for them and chemistry cost for me. 5x7 can be placed in unframed 5x7 windows cut from a 8x10 mat for table top presentation. You can also mount in hand made books.

A common student mistake is not enlarging tight enough around the subject. An old David Vestal technique was to not re-enlarge but use a 4x6 window mat to crop the original 5x7. The quality of a 4-5x enlargement if using good technique, excellent optics, and 125 iso film rivals (does not exceed) medium format.

For 645 negs 6x8 or 6.5x8.5 on 8x10 or 9x12 paper can be wall mounted in 14x18 or 15x19 inch frames and look good in a house or exhibition. These mount sizes fit in 16x20 storage boxes.

For wall presentation small format is fine at viewing distance if enlarged to 8x12 on 11x14 paper. Providing clear 1 inch borders around the image area has many advantages for serious work. The loose print is nicer to look at, there is the archival safety margin, and you have a framing option.

For decades the trend is to print big. I would print digitally before I printed chemical 16x20s. The Jeff Wall type constructed image drove this trend.

Weston was satisfied with 8x10 prints. HCB prints are often 9x13. Andre Kerteze prints were as small as 4x6 inches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	82654

But if your subject is landscape the prints tend to look better larger than 8x10....not to say they need to be 16x20.[
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 02-19-2014 at 11:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    What size do you prefer to print for general printing?
    I print generals exactly as large as they order me to.

…WTF? What inartistic notions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Usually 8x10 or 11x14 when making work prints from my 6x7 negatives. Final prints usually on 20x24 at least. That is when I'm working in the darkroom with a color processor. When it comes to digital scans for final prints I'm not tied to a particular paper size and have recently enlarged 6x7 scans to 42x50 with pretty good results.

4x5 negatives I've done up to 30x40 in the darkrrom and loved the results. I'm very much hands on and enjoy the process better than digital.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I usually print 11 X 14 (actually 10 X 13, with 1/2" borders) but lately I've been printing 16 X 20 (14.5 X 18.5, with 3/4" borders) for exhibition. I usually shoot 6 X 6 negatives, sometimes 6 X 4.5, rarely 6 X 9. I'm one of those Philistines who likes rectangles and lets the size of the paper determine the print size :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From 6x6" to... whatever size the image wants to be!

For exhibition, 16x12-20x24 is standard really, with a few larger images thrown in.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my prints on the small side even for exhibitions so 4x4in and 4x5in to maximum 12x12 and 12 x 15inch. Very very rarely and only if it fits the image I go as large as 20x24. My current favourite sizes are 6x6in and 6 x 7.5 inch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Iprefer either 11x14 or 16x20 paper
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If full plate size is what you like, that is what you should print. I generally print 8X10 when messing around and 11X14 for display. But there is no rule for this. Sometimes the negative requires cropping to different dimensions. Sometimes I just want 5X7s. I rarely print bigger than 11X14 simply for logistical reasons.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have standardised to 10x8 paper as I like to use both standard and warmtone multigrade and keeping both in stock in a range of sizes was just too expensive. My house is quite small, and anything larger on the walls looks a little too big, though I do sometimes print to 12x16" which is the biggest I can do on my easel anyway.
    I like to print 35mm to 7x5" or 7.5x5" onto 10x8" paper which seems a little wasteful but you get a nice big margin that gives a number of options for an overmat. 6x7 prints onto 10x8" with a 1/4" margin. I like sticking to one size paper - keeps stock down and removes one more thing to worry about in presenting. The 7x5" option onto 10x8" paper leaves a nice 1.5" margin all around the print that works really well if slipped into an album rather than framed as is not too far off full frame 35mm aspect ratio, so not too much cropping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a big fan of 11x14 in an 18x22 frame
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin