Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,002   Online: 751

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    11x14 is not a size of print that I have really considered, I might give it a go...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    18x24cm/8x10" or 24x30cm/11x14", with 35 mm.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    16cmx16cm on 8"x10" from 6x6 negatives. Since my easel allow only 2cm on both sides.

16cmx20cm from 35mm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I like 13 inches on the long side for all my portfolio prints

Since I work using 8x10 and 4x5 these days I have two sizes of exhibition prints.

18 inches long side

28 inches long side

I have been producing in this size and all my frames are suited to these sizes.

I am now working on a series of prints that will be 48 inches on the long side, I am photographing very simple small objects in this wonderful light tent using an old Century Camera with a beautiful 480mm lens.
    I am about to turn my Durst 2000 on its side to get this magnification , I already have the sinks and trays . Vertically enlarging is too difficult
    with this large size as it means a lot of bending down to the floor and putting the paper in place.
    Horizontal printing is much more eloquent and it avoids the embarrassing plumbers backside if I have assistants in the room watching me .

I thing the contradiction of small object to very large final image is quite beautiful to behold.

For my medium format negatives and 35mm negatives I am planning to make pt pd or Colour gum over pd.

these will be in the following sizes

8 inches on the long side

13 inches on the long side

and if I get really ambitious 22inches on the long side.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My 6x6 negs get printed to 5x5" or 6x6" on 8x10 paper. 10x10" on 11x14 paper and 14x14" on 16x20 paper.

6x4.5 and 35mm gets printed to 5x7" or 5.25x7" or 6x8" on 8x10 paper. 9x12" on 11x14. And 13.5x18" on 16x20.

The hardest part for me is deciding how big of a print I want from a negative!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Almost every negative that I like and end up printing, I print, and them mount on an 11x14 board. I have 11x14 archival storage boxes, and the walls in my house and office have several 11x14 frames. I rotate prints through the frames. This means that most of these prints end up being on 8x10 paper, sometimes 11x14 paper, and cut down to a smaller size. Most of my negatives are 6x6 or 4x5 and I do not have any compulsion to print at the same aspect ratio as my negative - I almost always crop.

Some negatives I print larger - and in those cases, it depends on the image. Some work better at 11x14. some on 16x20 paper, and sometimes 20x24. On those images, the exact image size, and the size of the mat that it is mounted on are determined by what I feel works best with that particular image.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I prefer 5x7's for rectangular, 11x14's for special images. For my 6x6 images I like to print full-frame on 8x10 paper with a reasonable border on the sides.
    Something about a smaller photograph, it's more intimate. Also it's less expensive. And having a 5x7 large format camera helps, too.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    What size do you prefer to print for general printing? and this will of course depend on the format size you are printing, but for 35mm negs, I quite like the old full plate size of 8.5” X 6.5”.
    What the heck is general printing? I don't shoot any military portraits.

The other sentence seems to imply aspect ratio, not size specifically. I use to prefer 4:5, but my tastes over the last few years have drifted more towards 3:5, depending on subject matter, for reasons discussed here. The beauty of working with the projected image under the enlarger is that one can make those artistic and aesthetic decisions with any suitable film format, if not purposefully at the time of exposure.

If size is the issue, I find working with 16x20 sheets, utilizing its longest dimension in any suitable aspect ratio in 120 or LF, to be most pleasurable. Then again, it mostly depends on subject and composition. Some subjects are better treated small, while some scream to go as large as practicable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For 6x6 shots I use 12 x16 paper with an 0.5 inch border.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin