Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,601   Online: 837

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post

Is there any possibility you placed the paper upside-down on the easel (face down)?
    This

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wonderful suggestions guys!

For those who are wondering, I am using Ultrafine's cheap variable grade matte FB paper, switching from their RC stuff.

There are two possibilities I'm thinking of right now. One is the likely fact that I slipped the paper under the easel with the wrong side down, but I always thought that the shinier (in the safelight of course), smoother side is the emulsion side. Is this my folly? Another possibility is I goofed on developing times. I know FB paper's image doesn't 'pop' immediately like RC paper, but rather a slow gradual process. Maybe I found the wrong dev times and pulled it out of the developer too early? I'm filling up my trays right now and I'll be back later with my findings.
    "The photographer who does not enjoy printing probably never made a good print in his life. Half the fun of photography is found in the printing room..." - Kip Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    *EDIT: Using mostly Ilford-based liquid chemicals, I'm sure that I mistaken the dilution of Ilfostop (1:19) with PQ Universal (1:9).

Proceed in pelting me with tomatoes. Does anyone know if there's an embarrassing darkroom mistake thread on here?

Well... at least I was using the right emulsion side.

Thanks again guys. Now to laugh this off.
    Last edited by senorverde; 02-25-2014 at 11:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The photographer who does not enjoy printing probably never made a good print in his life. Half the fun of photography is found in the printing room..." - Kip Ross

Shooter
    Large Format
    Now let me tell you about the really dumb thing I just did and now have to repair....

Shooter
    35mm
    I have lots of PAL (Efke} grade 1 FB. Last time I tried it, there was no image, on either side! That was a few yrs ago. I have made some rather nice prints with it before, but they were a little fogged{which problem I hope to clear up thanks to APUG}.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Haa I was wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Now let me tell you about the really dumb thing I just did and now have to repair....
    Did a LF camera get blown over into a pond?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    One could remain optimistic and say that you 'have recently discovered a new learning opportunity' . . ?

Edit: And well done to the original poster for working out what the problem was. That was also a good 'learning opportunity'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin