Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,502   Online: 1167

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Lamp for Lucky 90m, shape and wattage

Hello.

I started with photography in the November of the last year and last month I
    got an enlarger! I have some question about condenser enlarger lamp shapes and
    wattage.

The enlarger is a Lucky 90m but its comes without a lamp, the enlarger uses a
    150w/100v lamp. I found one on Rakuten Kenko shop for approximately 20 USD:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/k...4944915901693/

This seen to be a picture of the lamp shape
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B071_04.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	83787

(from here http://utinogarakuta.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-71.html )

The only lamp I found in my local stores is the PH140 75W and currently I'm
    using it to print 135 negatives on 5x7 inches paper. The prints look OK to my
    untrained eyes, but without a negative it looks like the center is brighter
    than the corners.

I'm thinking about using a PH211/PH212 bulb, because I can get then cheap on
    Freestyle*. Is this shape "compatibly" with the one on the picture above? Do
    anyone know where to get the correct Lucky bulb for a cheaper price?

And about the wattage, the enlarger asks for a 150W, using a 75W makes any
    difference other than the exposure time? Because even with a 75W PH140 I need
    a 5 stop ND gel filter to bring times to something practical.

Thanks.

* I import nearly everything, because the insane prices in my country. What
    you think about 285 USD for a set of Ilford 6x6" Multigrade filters?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B071_04.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know your enlarger, but the lower wattage lamp (75w) should only give longer exposures, and no other difference. The lamp shape may be important to obtain even illumination of the negative. On some enlargers you can move the lamp up and down to get even coverage. On Durst the lamp holder just slides up and down. Some have a screw you loosen first to allow the lamp holder to move.
    Alex

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Alex. Looking at it close I can see that is possible to move the lamp
    up an down.

I'm certain that the I'm not getting even coverage, because slight moving the
    lamp change the illumination in a sheet of white paper when I put the mask
    without any film.

Any way to determine the correct position? On the side of the enlarger I have
    this info: "Condenser lenses: double plano-convex 120ϕ 80R" (what the "120ϕ
    80R" means?)

Shooter
    35mm
    It's unlikely you will get perfectly even illumination. You can, however, move the lamp up or down until you get the best available coverage. The corners are usually less bright than the centre. If you have a handheld light meter, you could try putting the room lights off and measuring the light at the centre and corners of the frame with no negative in the carrier. You then adjust the lamp to get the least difference between readings.
    I'm not sure about the condenser description. 120 and the circle/line looks like the diameter? I don't know about the 80R.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    120=diameter. 80=radius. 80 what i've no idea, maybe furlongs?

Any way without searching for pictures. The 140 is about the size of a golf ball(isn't it?) and the 211/212 are like a common 60 watt household bulb. I'd guess that the Lucky lamp is closer in diameter to the 2xx's.
    The diameter will make a difference in evenness across the print. It may not be noticeable because your'e making smallish prints.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    120=diameter. 80=radius. 80 what i've no idea, maybe furlongs?
    If 120 is the diameter, 80 isn't the radius.

I am wondering whether one of those two numbers might be related to the length of the bulb.

Some of the Lucky enlargers were, IIRC, sold under a number of different names. I wonder if there is a "Vivitar" equivalent that there is more info available.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the answers. I tried measuring the light and I get a one stop
    difference between the corners and the center. I will try to make a grade 5
    print without any film and see what I get.

Matt, thanks for the tip. I found that the Lucky 90m looks exactly the same as
    the Vivitar E-74 the only difference is the name and the color (Vivitar is
    painted white and my Lucky is painted gray).

I cannot find the manual of either Vivitar E-74 or Lucky 90m but from a google
    search the lamp recommended to the E-74 is the PH211. I try to get one and do
    some tests.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The radius of the curved portion of the condenser, opposite the flat side. Not the radius of the flat surface which would be ~60mm.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It might be cheaper to get an under lens filter set. I think the 6X6 filter you quoted is expensive.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/762617...ted-Filter-Kit

Shooter
    35mm
    The under the lens filter set locally is 460 USD... I'am using Rosco cinema gels, a 120 deep blue and primary green (139 I think), 7 USD per sheet.

I'am using a PH211 bulb now and its working great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin