Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 732

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Beseler 6x9 carriers - size of opening

Beseler lists 2 6x9 carriers for the Beseler 45:

#8314.....2¼ x 3¼ roll film negative
    #8315.....2¼ x 3¼ sheet film negative

Does anyone know what the actual opening size of either of these? I could measure film (and will if I need to) but I figure Beseler must have put some thought into the opening size.

I plan to file out a 6x6 carrier for 6x9; using a dremel for most of the metal removal and then a file clean up edges and corners. Not sure yet how I'll blacken the newly cut edges.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have at least one Omega 6x9 carrier, and I have to ask the same question myself. I have a Zero Image pinhole camera that goes up to 6x12, but I use it at 6x9. And the negatives are always larger than the opening in the carrier. I had a carrier filed out to 6x12 a while ago, and that works OK.

PS - make sure you get all the burrs off the carrier.
    It takes a big dog to weigh a ton.

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The opening on mine is 2-3/16x3-3/16 inches or 56x81mm.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    but I figure Beseler must have put some thought into the opening size.
    Perhaps not. Seeing as there is not an agreed 6x9 standard negative image size, let alone any standard for camera viewfinder-to-film framing accuracy. In general a glassless negative carrier for 6x9 should grab about 3mm of film around the perimeter.

I don't use glassless 6x9 much any more, but when I did I would keep the light on until the negative popped or stopped moving while viewing it under the grain focuser. Then put the lens cap on and put paper under, then quickly (without bumping the enlarger) turn the enlarger light off, remove the lens cap, wait an undetermined amount of time for the enlarger to stop vibrating (but not let the negative cool) and then hit the timer button.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 04-08-2014 at 06:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not where (location) I can measure any developed film. Is there much difference between 6x9 sheet film and 6x9 roll film in terms of image size? Or is it totally dependent on the specific camera model film gate?
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The opening for the sheet film holder is a bit smaller than that for the roll film holder. (Sheet film drops right through the roll film holder.) The opening for the roll film holder is 2-7/32 X 3-1/4 inches (56.5 X 82 mm). I don't have the regular sheet film holder. I use the glass holder for sheet film. It's opening is 2-7/32 X 3-7/32 inches, with rounded corners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another member also mentioned that the guide posts are different on the sheet film holder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    there is some variance in film gates too. That's only to make things more interesting.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a suggestion, but wouldn't using a 4x5 negative carrier (with glass) and a black paper mask make more sense? I use mine with different sized negatives, such as 127 or panoramic images shot on an old 3A. I tape the mask down (off the glass to avoid any tape residue later) and fit the film into the hole- no problem and no drilling, filing and blacking. I keep a stock of masks in in an envelope by the enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would - but I don't have a 4x5 glass carrier. And I do have 2 6x6 carriers.

I've avoided acquiring a glass carrier due to concern about newton rings. Plus the fact that I haven't found a used one locally or from a trusted source. New ones are so expensive.

If you're using a paper mask over the negative, that bit of separation should (as I understand) avoid newton rings assuming the negative is flat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin