Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,223   Online: 828

The way of learning is really very personal .

I do BW photography from 52 years ago, I copy my negatives from 41 years ago.
    I started in LF photography 30 years ago.
    I took a workshop with Bruce Barnbaum 12 years ago.

I Work with a Mamiya 645 with 4 lenses, Linhof 6x9 with 3 lenses and Shen Hao 4x5 with 4 lenses, a Sekonic light meter, a LPL 4550 enlarger, a Beseler 23CII that use condensers.

For 15 years I have tried to calibrate my system according to many authors based on the zonal system. I took hundreds of plates and hundreds of rolls. I dismissed many negatives without deep work to achieve expression. And my search never give me the feeling of happiness, failed to integrate all the process fully inside me. I could not convey in the print what I saw and felt in front of my subject.

Two month ago I decided to follow the idea of ​​Bob Carnie I read on this forum, I took two boxes of paper RC 8x10 and repeated many times each copy as needed to conform to the results was achieved with each negative -got printing 17 times only one negative- to find and unite all the resources I knew but did not come to integrate into my work: Burning and Dodging, Split Printing, Bleaching and preexposure. After the first succes, I was able to know how to organize my search in each different negative, how work with good local contrast and maintaining the overall contrast, how direct the viewer's seeing to each area of the image.

Finally I see that this is the step I was missing in my work: integrating the resources of negative exposure and development (based on Zone System), printing, developing and finishing my prints. I have been very pleased, and in the next days I make my first new exhibition after 30 years ...

Thank you very much to the community, was a great company in this trip.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your input, I have imagined your theme is to keep trying, and that is the plan!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow very impressive and such a long journey. Congratulations and best of luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've learned mostly by trial and error and studying the classics and asking myself "what made their work so special"
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, I can see this journey too - a long, winding road where things fall into place eventually. I think the key point is this "integrating" part - putting all you know together and try to finish things. Inspiring read!
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin