Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,521,991   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Printing squares on 18x24 paper

Hi!

This has probably been debated over and over again, but I'm curious on how you print squares on a 18x24 paper.

Printing 3:2 is simple, and works great. This is how I like to it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funkar-32.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	86193

A lot of wasted paper area, but I can live with that. The idea is that one should be able to handle the prints with ease, which I why I leave these margins. The top/bottom margins are slightly different to place the image at the papers optical center. The image is approx. 18x12 cm.

However, for squares this is tricky. My first attempt was pretty bad:

Name:	funkarinte-fyrkant.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	86194

I tried making the square even bigger, but it still didn't work out. So I tried changing orientation and I think it works a bit better now:

Name:	funkar-kanske-fyrkant-1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	86195

But size...should I let it be 12x12 cm, on a 18x24 paper? So here's a slightly bigger (16x16) version:

Name:	funkar-kanske-fyrkant-2-1616.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	86196

I know this is all a matter of taste, but I'm curious on how you do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always center the image on the paper. I don't feel the various conventions about centering the image in a mat board for display hold up well when hand-holding print to view.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I always center the image on the paper. I don't feel the various conventions about centering the image in a mat board for display hold up well when hand-holding print to view.
    What is your technique for centering the image on the paper? I've got a four-bladed easel from LPL that has these pre-cut scores in different sizes, but they generally don't line up very well with the placement of the image when using the rulers on the blades to set the image size.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, don't think of the white surrounding areas as 'wasted space'. That's a mistake in my opinion. Much art is about studying the empty space that surrounds or lies between focal point in images, and sometimes the empty space can even be more important.

I usually print 6" square on 8x10" paper (roughly equivalent to you 18x24cm). That leaves 1" on each side, and I use 1.5" on top and 2.5" on the bottom for a top weighted placement.
    To me that looks fantastic when you hold the print in your hands.

I do the same on 11x14" paper, where I print 8x8" square, and on 16x20" paper where I print 12" square - with similar top weighted placement. To me that looks fantastic, and all that empty space supports the image nicely.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would think that a 3 inch border left, right, and from the top would look great and handle well. The image would be 12x12 inches with nice borders.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Couldn't agree more with Thomas. White area is NOT wasted space. Probably not very helpful for your particular question, but recently I was asked to print 20x24" (image area!) prints on Efke FB. Took a 25x28" sheet cut from a roll and dead-centering of the image to make it work, i.e. look "good", "saleable".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    I would think that a 3 inch border left, right, and from the top would look great and handle well. The image would be 12x12 inches with nice borders.
    In Europe 18x24 refers to centimeters, roughly equivalent to 8x10 paper.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Carlsson View Post
    So I tried changing orientation and I think it works a bit better now:

Name:	funkar-kanske-fyrkant-1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	86195
    I know this is all a matter of taste, but I'm curious on how you do it.
    Yes, it is a matter of taste. My taste (as it were) is a vertical orientation for my square images. I have the same border at the top and sides, and more at the bottom. Or, slightly more at the top, but a lot more at the bottom. You are working metric, if I read correctly. I (being American) work in inches. I usually print a 9x9 image on a 11x14 paper, leaving 1 inch at the sides and 1 to 2 inches at the top.

If 12cm is too small and 16cm is too big, then the obvious is to try 14, or ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    What is your technique for centering the image on the paper? I've got a four-bladed easel from LPL that has these pre-cut scores in different sizes, but they generally don't line up very well with the placement of the image when using the rulers on the blades to set the image size.
    Some high end easels (like my 20x24 Saunders) have adjustable left-hand paper stop for each paper size. This lets you center the paper to the scale. Otherwise you may have to make adjustments to the readings of the scale on each side.

Things to try
    1) Get a new scale sticker; remove the old one and put the new one in the correct location
    2) See if alignment of the paper with the RIGHT side of the slot works better (this solved the problem with my 16x20 Beseler easel)
    3) Use tape, plastic or wood to make a small shim to adjust the right or left hand side of the slot to center the paper to the scale
    4) When all else fails, figure out how far off the scale is and offset the blades the appropriate amount from the indicated scale readings each time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An example, this is how I deal with my Beseler (after first adjusting each blade to be perfectly square with the appropriate screws):

Side to side: Even though a new sticker is available, I found the paper aligned perfectly with the right side of the channel, so I just use that.
    Up and down: I determined the scale is off by 1/8 of an inch. So, after setting my margin, I go back and move the top blade down 1/8" and move the bottom blade down 1/8"
    It is easy to determine if the scale is correct; put a sheet of paper in the slot, then bring the bottom blade even to the bottom of the paper. The scale should read exactly the paper size. Bring each side blade in to the edges of the paper and, again, the scale should correspond to the exact paper size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin