Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,962   Posts: 1,632,407   Online: 750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Blotter Book Mishap

So, yesterday I went to the lab for the second time ever. Rented it for 3ish hours and printed about 10-12 prints (had occasional assistance/guidance from the lady who does most of their printing). Some of which were done before I was shown burning and dodging which was done two both images I printed.

Anyway, after squeegee'ing off they went into the blotter book. Got home and put some books on top and let them sit over night. Get to them this morning and realize that I bet the interleaving layer is glassine (or similar) and was supposed to the have image side facing it. It wasn't, the instructions were left in my car for the book, and I must of put them all in wrong. They all have been stuck to the paper and have paper fuzz all over the images. Anything I can do? Can I attempt to rewash them or something? I am so brokenhearted and embarrassed at this. What a way to start a three day weekend.

Any advice, criticism, butt kicking, suggestions, etc are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    35mm

attorney

Ordinarily if someone said he had trouble with the fuzz I'd say call your lawyer. But in your case why not take the prints back to the lab and ask the lady there what to do? You could try re-washing the prints but you'd have to re-squeegee 'em and so on and it might be easier to do the whole business at the lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't see any harm in re-washing 'em if they're FB papers. You may be left with a rather unique finish to your prints but on the plus side they might look quite good. As for butt kicking etc, you're simply the latest in a very long line of printers who've f****d up over the years!
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rewashing/soaking should take care of it. If just soaking doesn't do it a little bit of careful rubbing should.
    Then you can let them dry on a flat surface.

BTDT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's the deal with experience. We only get it from doing what we're not supposed to do. I'll bet that rewashing will work. How well it will work, you'll have to find out. Another great opportunity for experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the replies and yes I forgot to mention...it was all Ilford MGFB Warmtone - Semi Glossy. I bought a squeegee and at the lab she uses a piece of glass and squeegees them. I can rewash them at home and see if it works. None of the images themselves were damaged (thankfully), but some have a little bit of paper hairs and some have a lot.

I would imagine rewashing and drying properly (which it seems for fiber based there are 10 different ways to dry and everyone has their own way) should do the trick...at least fingers crossed.

Shooter
    35mm
    +1 re-washing will work; once damp (after ~10min), rub gently with a sponge if needed. Plus, I put my prints between blotters only when when almost dry and definitely not if the gelatin still feel damp to the fingers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great to hear. Attempting this now. And thanks for the information. Will try to let try a little before inserting in the book or allowing them to dry once home before letting them sit in there sandwiched all night long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is interesting, because at the local community college, the instructor told us to remove the glassine page and just leave the prints between the paper pages. I do not remember why he told us to remove the glassine page, as I would have placed the emulsion side to the glassine page. But I do not recall having any issues, but then I also did not put a weight on top of the blotter book to press it FLAT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To report back, washing did the trick like a charm. Did not even really need to sponge as the paper fibers/fuzz practically fell right off. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Lesson learned, thankfully at not a painful price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin