Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,290   Online: 1020

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you so much Eddie! I will study the manual and check those items!

I will let you know tomorrow! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Deb

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Debbie,
    Here's the Dichro 45S manual. Part 1 tells you about fully collapsing the upper bellows.
    http://www.morrobaygiclee.com/Dichro45s.pdf

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Eddie,

I tried collapsing the bellows as you suggested and ran another test print. Same results. I looked inside the Color Head and it has a 35 mm diffusion tank and I am enlarging a 120 negative. Do you think that would make a difference? When I bought the unit I found a slide in the negative carrier.

I also checked the diffusion disc and it looks good. It is so perplexing.

I thank you for all your help!

Deb

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieT View Post
    I looked inside the Color Head and it has a 35 mm diffusion tank and I am enlarging a 120 negative. Do you think that would make a difference?
    Deb
    Yes. You need the mixing box to match your film. However, a 4x5 will work for the smaller formats, too. As well as a 120 will work for 35mm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BESELER-4X5-...item5d4afabdda

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you David!!

Learning this hobby by trial and error! Right now with enlarging...mostly error. :-)

On a side note: When I bought this Beseler 45s They also gave me a Beseler 23cII. I changed out the lens went through the process of making a print. The entire paper was dark after the exposure except the edge I designated as border. No visible image. Im guessing that tank is also wrong.

No printing today! On the bright side, I now am a certified Beseler mechanic!

Thank you again for your support!

Deb

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like David is right. You don't have enough coverage for your neg. BTW. I have the same enlarger for over 30 years and it's a work horse. I use the 45S color head for VC paper it works great! I used my enlarger over the weekend and it's like an old friend. Bought it new during the 80s and it's the best purchase I ever made.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for the support!

Until my new diffusion tank arrives for the 45s, I will see if I can get a print from this 23c II.

I really appreciate the suggestions and support from everyone!

Deb

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Debbie,
    The Besler 23cII has only one mixing chamber that is use for both 35mm and 120mm negatives. There should be a scale on the right-hand side that shows how much bellows extension is needed for a given negative size. Here is the manual for your 23c. Having said that, there is an alternative mixing chamber that "multiplies" the amount of light. It cannot be used with 120mm. It is easy to identify because the bottom "glass" is not the full size of the mixing chamber.

Are you making a test strip or guessing at the exposure? If you make a test strip, you will (a) save paper and (b) get a good idea of what the proper exposure should be.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bob,

Thank you for the info and help!

That is funny you should ask about the test strip as I had not done that in my earlier attempts and was blowing through paper!

Earlier I ran a test print with the 23cII and it came out very dark at 25 seconds. Not sure where 25 seconds came into the picture, but probably from a youtube video I watched showing how to enlarge. Anyway...

I poked around the unit and realized there was a condenser head in it. When I bought the lot of enlargers and equipment I remembered there was a diffuser head, so I changed them out and also adjusted the the bellows extension.

I ran some test strips. :-) I got a decent print (finally yay!) using a 8 second exposure. My first print!

I'm sure I don't have to tell you how exciting and rewarding it is to make my own picture! Im addicted!

Obviously, I am a work in progress. Shooting and developing the film is a cakewalk compared to enlarging!!

Now I must learn how to improve my prints! Do you recommend any books or websites that teach these techniques?

Thank you again for all your wonderful help.

Deb

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieT View Post
    ... recommend any books or websites that teach these techniques?
    Start here: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=27

Then:

Way Beyond Monochrome, Ralph W. Lambrecht and Chris Woodhouse, 2nd edition 2011

The Amateur Photographer’s Handbook, Aaron Sussman, 8th edition 1979

Black & White Photography - Basic Manual, Henry Horenstein, 2nd edition 1983
    (note: Half-Price Books on NW Hwy had 10 of these on Oct. 27)

Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual, Henry Horenstein, 3rd edition, 2004

Creative Black and White Photography, Les McLean, 2002

The Camera; The Negative; The Print, Ansel Adams, 1995

The Darkroom Cookbook, Stephen Anchell, 3rd edition 2008

Basic Developing, Printing, Enlarging in Black-and-White, Kodak, 1982

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin