Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,641   Online: 786

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Medium format enlargements with 50mm instead of 75mm lens

Yesterday i made some enlargements of medium format film with a 50mm lens instead of the correct 75mm lens. I did not notice any difference in my prints. My question is: is it really necessary to change lens when changing formats? I am using a durst AC707 autocolour enlarger with 645 negatives shot on a bronica. Both lenses are nikon.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do believe that Nikon enlarging lenses are reputed to have a greater coverage than they are designed to be used with, which may be the answer. However I would contend that a Nikkor 80mm F5.6 gives better edge sharpness than the 50mm Nikkor if the prints were examined closely.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do believe that Nikon enlarging lenses are reputed to have a greater coverage than they are designed to be used with, which may be the answer. However I would contend that a Nikkor 80mm F5.6 gives better edge sharpness than the 50mm Nikkor if the prints were examined closely. Especially if the enlargement were 12x9.5 or larger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have a 50mm lens on your enlarger that gives even, sharp coverage over your entire 645 negative, then it will work fine.

In most cases though, a 50mm enlarging lens used for a 645 negative will result in lighter, unsharp corners in a print made from the full 645 negative.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The coverage of all enlarging lenses is enhanced at low magnification. In fact when you get to the range of reductions, you can use a lens with a focal length equal to the diagonal of the print, even if the negative is much much larger.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Use a 80mm.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd use the 75 or 80, if for no other reason than to preclude light fall-off from center to corner.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The sharp region is smaller than the lit region, so you will see corner softness earlier than you would with the correct lens. Consider the coverage to be a cone extending out of the lens - if the lens is further from the film (due to you making a small print) then clearly you can print a larger piece of film. This is why a too-short lens will work fine to print a 5x7 print but will fail horribly if you try to print a 16x20.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the cone is a good metaphor.I may steel that one day if that's ok?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    of course, but I'm sure there's a diagram to exactly that effect in your book...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin