Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,822   Online: 984

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Cool! Does that have a way to use strips of film in addition to slides?
    The slide is just sitting over the light source, you could just as easily put down a strip of slides. I don't think a strip of negatives would get scratched, but you could put down a thin strip of mylar or something else as Bill suggested. The knob adjusts the focus.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    > How has that saved any work versus just looking at the negatives?

It gives a better impression how the real print would look like. If you are well trained you may see this from the negative too. Perhaps.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Good (film) photogs are essentially negative.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use traditional contact prints on 8x10 paper, and doing so has revealed something: I get about one good image per 80 sq inches exposed - so one roll of 35mm film will generally result in one good image. One roll of 120 film - one image, four sheets of 4x5 - one image.

For roll film I always make the contacts with the same exposure and contrast settings. With sheet film, where I am making the contacts one image at a time, I always use the same contrast, but will tweak exposure neg by neg.

Someone mentioned that traditional contacts are too time consuming and costly - the cost is minimal, and once the darkroom is set up, it doesn't take much time to crank out the contacts. If I was less concerned with the image and more concerned with time, I'd shift to an all digital process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    random thought: if you did have an 8x10 contact print, you could scan it in like 15 seconds, then enlarge it on the screen.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    random thought: if you did have an 8x10 contact print, you could scan it in like 15 seconds, then enlarge it on the screen.
    I can scan 8x10 print through files just as easily and invert to positives but my workstation takes rather longer than 15 seconds... closer to 15 aeons, there is no delay with a loupe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film strip projector?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or perhaps, a Microfilm viewer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A little hybrid work flow here. I scan the negatives with an Epson V700 scanner, and then import them into Lightroom. The negatives go into Negafile pages, marked with the date and inclusive frame numbers as scanned.

In Lightroom I can then assign key words, so they are catalogued, along with gasp! digital images from my Pentax K 5. The scanned negatives give me a reasonable idea of their sharpness, along with how they MIGHT look if printed in the dark room. I do very little if any post processing in Lightroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are light boxes made for viewing 35mm slides. They hold the slides at a 45o angle allowing the user to sit comfortably at a table for viewing. They typically hold 3 or 4 rows of 10 slides each and so can easily hold 6 exposure strips. They collapse for compact storage. Much more comfortable than leaning over.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin