Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,240   Online: 845
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wilton, Connecticut USA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    7

    Sharpness issues

    I've recently started enlarging Xpan negatives (24 x 65mm), and at first I was using a cut and filed-out regular glassless 35mm negative carrier, and experiencing a lack of sharpness because the carrier just could not hold such a large negative flat.

    So I am now using an anti-Newton glass 6x9 carrier, but I swear that overall, the prints are just not as sharp as before. I look at this anti-Newton glass, and it is like shower-door glass...surely this is having an effect, if not in sharpness, then it must be diffusing and lowering the contrast of prints? Is this an inescapable tradeoff?

    Also...would Ilford FB Warmtone paper be less sharp than their regular "cold-tone" Multigrade IV? Or is it my imagination?

    Thanks, JP

  2. #2
    eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,586
    Images
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by J Pellegrino
    So I am now using an anti-Newton glass 6x9 carrier, but I swear that overall, the prints are just not as sharp as before. I look at this anti-Newton glass, and it is like shower-door glass...
    That's an odd analogy. I've used a glass 8x10 carrier on a Beseler 8x10 enlarger for 6x17. Very sharp prints. Does it really look like cheapo glass?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wilton, Connecticut USA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    7
    I wouldn't say "cheap." (Certainly the thing cost enough!) It is an authentic Beseler 6x9 carrier. But the bottom glass looks like it was sandblasted, or "pebbly." Hard to describe. Never having seen anti-Newton glass before, I assume this is what it is supposed to look like.

  4. #4
    Bob F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,984
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by J Pellegrino
    I wouldn't say "cheap." (Certainly the thing cost enough!) It is an authentic Beseler 6x9 carrier. But the bottom glass looks like it was sandblasted, or "pebbly." Hard to describe. Never having seen anti-Newton glass before, I assume this is what it is supposed to look like.
    Almost... it should look like that, but it should be on top of the negative, not underneath it. Sometimes (I read) it's OK, sometimes not - on my L1200, it's not a good idea... Try plain glass on the bottom and see if you get an improvement.

    Cheers, Bob.

  5. #5
    eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,586
    Images
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Almost... it should look like that, but it should be on top of the negative, not underneath it. Sometimes (I read) it's OK, sometimes not - on my L1200, it's not a good idea... Try plain glass on the bottom and see if you get an improvement.

    Cheers, Bob.
    It's been so long since I've used it I can't remember which side the "pebbly" part was. Can you make a print by turning the neg carrir upside down?

    I am in the middle of filing my 6x9 carrier (no glass) and I noticed my 6x9 negs are bowing. I'll probably just scotch tape some sections of it to keep it flat on the edges.

  6. #6
    Eric Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary AB, Canada
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    4,274
    Images
    73
    My glass carrier for my Omega has that funny shower door look too. The prints however are razor sharp. I have glass carriers for 6x6, 6x7 and 4x5. I never print without them. Except for 35mm of course.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

    "civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

    "The Dude abides" - the Dude

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,025
    Anti newton bit should go on top (against the smooth base of the film) and the clear glass on the bottom (against the emulsion, which not being as glossy smooth, tends not to cause newton rings). My Devere anti newton glass is very subtle, certainly not pebbly, but upon close inspection has a slight disruption to the surface on one side. Even with such a subtle surface I would not dream of using it under the neg!

    Tom

  8. #8
    eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,586
    Images
    55
    Maybe you guys should just start printing in the shower

  9. #9
    Bruce Osgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Brooklyn, N.Y. USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,458
    Images
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    My glass carrier for my Omega has that funny shower door look too. The prints however are razor sharp. I have glass carriers for 6x6, 6x7 and 4x5. I never print without them. Except for 35mm of course.
    My Omega 4X5 glass carrier has two pieces of glass that I wouldn't call shower door look, but they have a 'blurring' quality. One rests the neg and the other covers on top. Additional pieces of glass are of the blur type except one which is clear. It is beveled on the ends like the blurry glass.

    The prints, while not razor sharp are sharp, I've attributed this to the taking lens. I'm wondering now if perhaps a clear glass should be on the bottom? Or the other way around?

    Any ideas?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    3,242

    look carefully

    After placing the anti newton glass on top and making a print you get newton rings then you have the glass upside down. Some anti newton glass is hard to be sure you have it right side up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin