Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,269   Posts: 1,680,908   Online: 944

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    WOW!! This is exciting!! I might have to try my hand with this.

Todd
    I take it that you spotted his use of a constant shower of water. Bleaching even with quite dilute bleach without the application of water initially under the spot being bleached can result in the bleach run-off bleaching bits you don't want bleached. I'd apply the running water to the bleached area as well very quickly after application as the action will continue otherwise and over-doing the bleaching is easily done.

Have fun and I hope you will show us "before" and "after" examples of prints you have done.

pentaxuser

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    watch this video too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz2dC5MXjSY

from about 10:00

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I like this video, but think she is washing after bleaching and not re-fixing.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This reminds me of the excellent documentary by Richard Dunkley called Robin Bell's Silver Footprint, which was produced to accompany Bell's book of the same name. At the time of its release there was a longer version of the trailer available online, which included local bleaching, but now only a short trailer is available. The full length video is available for sale here.

[EDIT] ...which reminds me. A few years ago I saw a series of videos online which was essentially a reality show of B&W print students going through a number of challenges under the guidance of a master printer. As I recall, it was sort of a sink or swim kind of competition, but they did receive some challenge-specific tutelage before they were set loose with limited paper resources to create their final prints. Now, I've never found this series again, so I'm beginning to think it might be a product of my imagination. Has anyone else seen these videos?

Cheers,
    Tom
    Last edited by Toffle; 07-10-2014 at 07:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    She is washing off the excess with the hose, then re-fixing.

Btw, anyone recognise the enlarger in the OP video?

Shooter
    35mm
    Tom are you thinking of a video with, I think, Italian students? If it's that one then it isn't your imagination. I saw it also but I thought it very poor from an instructional aspect. Mind you, to be fair, that wasn't really its purpose although it gave hint that the viewer would learn from it. Sadly I didn't

pentaxuser.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Tom are you thinking of a video with, I think, Italian students? If it's that one then it isn't your imagination. I saw it also but I thought it very poor from an instructional aspect. Mind you, to be fair, that wasn't really its purpose although it gave hint that the viewer would learn from it. Sadly I didn't

pentaxuser.
    Yup, that's the one. I guess that means I'm not crazy. I agree that the show missed the mark. Reality show drama is really out of place in the darkroom. I give them credit for trying to create a show based on traditional printing, but that's about it.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Simply some people like to do this... Look at all of Salgado's enlarger prints, they have all been bleached retouched to some degree,,

Was very popular when the only paper you could get was graded.

allowed the printer to use higher grade for contrast pop , and then bleach back blocked up areas.

Why?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Why?
    Sorry , maybe answered too soon, if you do not refix the bleach will continue on. Ian and some of the chemist's can give you the best answer .

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Then her prints are in for a whole can of whoop ass down the road.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin