Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,020   Online: 926

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Simple question: time and "stops"

Probably and easy question:

How do I figure out how to add a third of a stop to a particular amount of time (keeping fixed aperature)?

For instance, if I want to add 2/3 a stop to 19 seconds of time, how do I determine that?

I know adding a stop doubles the time, it is the 1/3 and 2/3 increases that I'm not sure how to figure out properly..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Scarpitti
    1/3 of a stop is 1/3 of 2x.

19 secs + 19 secs = 38 secs would be one stop

1/3 of 19 secs is about 7 secs.

19 + 7 = 26 secs.

That sounds about right. But, doesn't exposure increase at a non arithmetic fashion? In otherwords, isn't 2/3 a stop actually more than 2 * 7 seconds?

Or, maybe I'm confusing something I have read.

Short times it probably doesn't matter much at all, but I am trying to think through a reciprocity problem.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Using your example. One stop would be 38 seconds total time. One third stop additional would be 25.3 seconds total time. Two thirds stop addtional would be 31.6 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD
    Probably and easy question:

How do I figure out how to add a third of a stop to a particular amount of time (keeping fixed aperature)?

For instance, if I want to add 2/3 a stop to 19 seconds of time, how do I determine that?

I know adding a stop doubles the time, it is the 1/3 and 2/3 increases that I'm not sure how to figure out properly..

Images
    There are a couple of good F stop printing charts available on the internet too. I keep one on my darkroom wall.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Jeff, are there any simple questions?

My method is to use percentage increases/decreases. A one stop increase of exposure for 19 seconds is a 100% increase; 38 seconds. A 1/3 stop increase would be 19 seconds + 33%, 0r 25.27 seconds...I'd round it up to 26 seconds.

This way, if at a later date you're making a larger print of the same image and want to burn the sky the same way, you just apply the original percentage increase to your new exposure for the larger print.

Murray

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One chart is available at

http://www.darkroomagic.com/library/library.htm

It´s the chart published by Lambrecht and Woodhouse in their book "Way beyond monochrome".
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From Ed Buffaloes' page on test exposure for printing, I think principle is the same for camera exposure increases:

BASE 19.0
    PLUS------Net change---new exp
    1/4 STOP----0.19--------22.6
    1/2 STOP ----0.41--------26.8
    3/4 STOP----0.68--------31.9
    1 STOP--- --1.00--------38.0

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Te.../testexpo.html

The queston was about 1/3 stop increase and my answer is about 1/4 stop increases but for greater detail on the reasoning please see Ed Buffaloes' site, he explains it all much better than I can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

OOPS,

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    From Ed Buffaloes' page on test exposure for printing, I think principle is the same for camera exposure increases:

BASE 19.0
    PLUS------Net change---new exp
    1/4 STOP----0.19--------22.6
    1/2 STOP ----0.41--------26.8
    3/4 STOP----0.68--------31.9
    1 STOP--- --1.00--------38.0

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Te.../testexpo.html

The queston was about 1/3 stop increase and my answer is about 1/4 stop increases but for greater detail on the reasoning please see Ed Buffaloes' site, he explains it all much better than I can.
    My colulmn titled Net change should be titled MULTIPLIER and the numbers should be expressed as 1.19; 1.41; 1.68 and 2.00.

I was once told by a boss that you can make all the mistakes you want as long as you keep them on your desk. Sorry this got off.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was reading in my Way Beyond Monochrome book about f/stop printing, but it went way over my head at the time. Does anyone have a good basic link that I could start with to try and get into this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As I understand it, to calculate new times, you need to raise the number 2 to the power of the number of stops.

Therefore, for a 19 second exposure, one stop increase would be 2 to the power of 1, which is 2, and 2 x 19 is 38s.

For a 1/3 stop increase, 2 to the 1/3 = 1.2599
    1.2599 x 19 = 23.94s

For 2/3 stop, 2 to the 2/3 = 1.5874
    1.5874 x 19 = 30.16s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin