Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,531   Online: 822

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Focus Movement?

Shooter
    35mm
    It sounds like a pretty cheap-and-nasty enlarger if there is no heat-absorbing glass before the neg, or possibly it was removed by someone previously. There are plenty of low-cost, high-quality alternative enlargers available if it is not possible to find BOTH a heat-absorbing filter and a double-glass carrier for the enlarger.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Perhaps it does have some installed and I do not realize it. It's a very gently used Beseler 67. Not the greatest machine, but it fits in my bathroom.

Shooter
    35mm
    The filter would look like a very thick (several millimetres) piece of special glass, which is designed to absorb infra-red heat (ie. the radiant heat from the bulb which would otherwise be expected to pass through the optical system of the enlarger) and could well be between the condenser assembly and the negative stage. You could look to see if there is an empty bracket which looks as though it should have something in it, at this area of the enlarger.

A heat-filter is possibly one of those parts which may only be fitted to models above the lowest one (if the manufacturer made a low-price starter model for example), though every enlarger I have ever examined has had one. A glass neg carrier is also pretty important in maintaining the negative in one plane, as is a built-in way to zero the optical system alignment for the condensers, neg carrier and focus stage.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Two simplesolutions:
    1. Heat absorbing glass
    2. Use the red filter under the lens to block the iight while you put the paper in the easel. Note that some papers may be sensitive to this color, particularly if hte filter is old and beginning to fade.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    Can only think about the negative UN-buckling when the light source is turned off . The light has been on for a little while when I focus the the neg so it is probably all ready buckled by that time. Although now I have a glass carrier so no buckling. One other thing I recall when focusing was flexing of the negative in the carrier, due to the fact the bellows is almost air tight which caused a slight difference of air pressure inside to that of the outside air making the negative flex while focusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    This is normal behavior when not using a glass carrier.
    What they said.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is the heat absorbing glass for your enlarger: http://store.khbphotografix.com/Heat...Enlargers.html

I used a 67C for decades - mine was purchased new in the mid to late 1970s. They are very serviceable enlargers. Mine is in storage now, as I'm using an Omega D6 with an Ilford Multigrade head as my enlarger, but if I had the room my Beseler 67C would be set up with it, albeit with a colour head swapped for the condensor head.

The only major downfall, IMHO, of the 67C is that there are no glass carriers available for it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin