Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,067   Online: 957

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Fujinon EP 75mm versus El-Nikkor 80mm

If you had one of each of these lenses and had to choose which one to keep, which would it be?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The one with the clearest/cleanest elements.

Shooter
    35mm

sharper

The lens that gives me the sharpest prints with my darkroom setup. What works for anyone else in other darkrooms does not mean anything.

Shooter
    35mm
    They both have clean elements. I guess I will keep the nikkor because it's faster. I don't have time to perform a good comparison test.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 75mm Fujinon is a 3 or 4 element lens, the 80mm Nikkor is a top of the line 6 element lens. Howard Tanger
    PS: BTW, there will be replys to this post stating that the person gets excellent results from their 3 & 4 element lenses. If so, what is the reason for 6 element lenses? Do not tell me $$$.

Shooter
    35mm
    From what I have read the Fuji is a 6 element. The nikon has illuminated click stops and that is worth something.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    The top range of Fujinon enlarging lenses was Fujinon EX wasn't it? I have a 90mm f5,6 EX (with illumination, rotatable housing, adjustable clicks etc.) and it produces the most attractive results of any lens which I have - and that includes Componon-S and Rodagon. Most likely the EP was either fewer elements or different coating or both? Were there also several 'grades' of 80mm Nikkors? I know I have a 50mm f4 Nikkor which is a four element design, and not stunning at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kiku View Post
    The 75mm Fujinon is a 3 or 4 element lens,
    no

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fujinon EP are 6 element, 4 group lenses source here. ES are 4 element, 3 group. (and yes, ES<EP<EX)

"EL-Nikkor" could mean anything, they didn't change the name when they upgraded the formulae, you'd have to post a photo so we can identify which it is. (although if you've got the original box, they were stamped with 'N', but afaik the lenses weren't. My lens isn't marked 'N' but my box is, but no guarantee it's the right box for the right lens).
    I think that the f/2.8 Nikkors were the new 6/4 versions and f/4 are older 4/3, but there are probably exceptions even if this is roughly true.
    Edit: Wikipedia has f/2.8 N as 6/4 Double Gauss, and f/4 N as 4/3 tessars, the non-N f/5.6 in longer lengths are 6/4 Orthometar and nothing said about shoter non-Ns. And as is the problem with them thar wikis, there's no source listed.
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 07-20-2014 at 08:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Evaluate your individual lenses to decide.

To correct earlier mis-information, Fujinon EP lenses are 6 element top of the line professional lenses with excellent build quality. Fuji EX lenses are the same with the addition of EBC (Electron Beam Coating) on the glass and illuminated aperture windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin