Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,222   Posts: 1,659,581   Online: 729

Shooter
    Medium Format

Proper Protocal for 120?

Hey guys,

Is there a protocall for printing square format images? 11x14 10x10 image size. 16x20 with a 12x12 image size. ect...

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We thrashed this one around a bit toward the end of last year. But I agree with snapguy, you are in charge!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I print them square unless I decide to crop the image. I love square format and try to compose within the full square, but there are times I have my Mamiya 6 and find something that needs to be in a rectangle; then I crop.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As to protocol, there used to be a general rule that it was best to print with an inch of margin minimum on the paper. This gives ample room for hinging and mounting without putting the image area at risk. Handling prints or storing/moving them can lead to damaged edges and such. With wet prints, damaged edges were more common, such as small chips in the gelatin and scrunched corners. And it is most common for stains from chemicals and such to start at the edges since the edges are more exposed to air, packaging materials and such.

As to size of print for a particular mat or frame size, your call.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Proper" isn't really a good test.

"Attractive" and "Effective" are good tests.

A square image tends more toward the stationery, whereas a more rectangular image can be better at implying movement. So when you are choosing how big to print, and where to place it in a frame or mat, it may help to keep these factors in mind.

Don't try to squeeze to much print into too little frame and mat.

I like either 11x11 or, in some cases 12x12 bottom weighted in a 16x20 mat and frame.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do you mean cropping then printing? I know it is hard to crop square especially to make it another size say 8x10?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    4-blade easel and paper oriented 'landscape' with top and bottom borders equal and side-to-side borders equal. That is for the print, when framing I sometimes make top and sides equal and bottom bigger.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin