Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,122   Online: 747

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Another Portrait of Alberto Schommer

Hello:
    I bring a new portrait of Mr. Alberto Schommer. In this case, Mr. Jose Luis Aranguren is the one who is portrayed. Again, there is no eyes in his face. I ask again: How is it done?
    Henry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aranguren.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No answer yet worked for you?

The answer Bob Carnie gave is the idea I would follow... Harsh, directional lighting carefully positioned so that as little light falls on the eyes as possible. Like campfire flashlight horror face.

As for the idea itself, it reminds me of this photograph by Steichen, and it seems is Alberto Schlommer's idea to portray people as if you see their life mask... A clever idea and worth giving a try.

http://www.artnet.com/auctions/artis...ask-of-lincoln

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    And I don't see evidence of this being the trick used... But there are those contact lenses they use in "True Blood" that cover the whole eye with dark brown.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting, on my monitor I can just make out the white of his left eye. I don't think there is any special technique used here and I sometimes end up with this effect entirely by accident. If I wanted to accentuate the effect I might judiciously burn the eyes in. Stonkin' picture though!
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just want to make this kind of photography, so I am trying to get as much information as posible.
    Thanks to everybody for your coments.
    Henry.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My guess is the eyes have been bleached out on the negative. That really can't be done in the camera. Eyeballs are of course round. They will always pick up some reflection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why would you want to take portraits and exclude the eyes? It may have a transitory statement, but the eyes are the windows of the soul.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Why would you want to take portraits and exclude the eyes? It may have a transitory statement, but the eyes are the windows of the soul.
    I think that is the whole point of what the photographer is aiming for -- forcing the concentration on the face in a way different to the usual manner, hence the title of the expo. Not a portrait of the person, but a picture of the face - the mask (which is possibly semi-amusing as use of a burning-in mask is probably how the effect was achieved).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin