Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,137   Online: 826

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Jeffery...no, I'm not interested in how the snow looks in particular but thanks for your comment, I'll read more about these 2 techniques.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just start printing without any predetermined targets to achieve...and in due course working in darkroom will bring lots of fun and experience.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a calibrated monitor, and chacun à son goût I know, but frankly these look rather inept to me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The snow looks less than white because there's a dusk photo with a bright light on the building. Of course snow isn't going to be bright white when it's dim enough outside for the light to be glowing bright. Even in daytime, pure white == no detail/texture. Making snow blown-out white is an artistic choice 10% of the time and a cop-out 90% of the time for people who don't like snow.

The website would have been better if the photos were not on an apple-white background, but a gray background, the tones in the photo would not be needlessly referenced to bright white.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The process looks like posterization. It's a laborious process in the darkroom, but easily done in most photo editors.

Shooter
    35mm
    Expired paper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard_L View Post
    Expired paper?
    I don't think those are silver gelatin prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first thought was "looks like my test prints that end up in the trash."

But I'm not an artist....

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    It may be that he fogged the paper deliberately by flashing the entire sheet with white light before making the print.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is possible to get bad prints from drydown or poor darkroom developer that would sort of looks like that, but I think it's intentional. Winter can be a time of weak sun and blandness in many parts of the world and I think what is on the website captures that mood superbly.

Use a lowish contrast film developer (like something semi-stand or PMK) and print low contrast on VC paper, and it's easy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin