Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,330   Online: 949

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

A question about this work

Hi guys,

I'd like to know your experienced opinion about this work: specifically, how do you think these tones can be achieved in the darkroom when printing?

http://www.danielreuter.net/History-of-the-Visit

Thanks in advance!

muju

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

I would go with multigrade papers and lower contrast filter (for start grade 1). Negative should not be underexposed, to have a lot of shadow details.

Regards,

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Darko,
    that's what strikes me about it: lots of shadow details, but the highlights are kind of muted, as if the exposure was time longer than normal...but then with a long exposure time, you usually lose shadows details...so I was wondering whether just using a low contrast filter would do the trick here, or maybe there's something about the develop process too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends about light condition of the scene - it it was not contrasty - then you can expose and develop normally, but if contrast of the scene was high, and you know you want to have this kind of result on final print - then it is good to overexpose and under develop the film, or use semistand, or some other technique in negative developer to get contrast in control - and in that way you will have less problems in printing stage.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm not sure I'd want to emulate those tones. Granted, we're all seeing different things. since we all have different monitors, but the tones seem compressed and flat on mine. That snow looks absolutely gray.
    Last edited by momus; 07-28-2014 at 07:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with momus, looks like mash of grey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I'm not sure I'd want to emulate those tones. Granted, we're all seeing different things. since we all have different monitors, but the tones seem compressed and flat on mine. That snow looks absolutely gray.
    Contrast is like spice in food - not too much, not too little, just proper amount is needed. Only thing is that definition of proper is very wide, and depends from person, from subject and so on .

I would print those with little more contrast, and it is quite possible that those jpgs are negative scans, not print scans.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks you all guys.
    Agree with Darko, it's a matter of taste.
    That book has been very well-received last year by critics and audience, but of course the aesthetics of the prints it's just a part of its merit, the rest being the coherence and sense of intimacy arising image after image, in my opinion.
    I was just curious about the technique behind and wanted to hear the opinion of someone with more darkroom experience than myself...I've just started, so I'm not looking to try unusual stuff right now, I'm still learning the basics.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If it is the snow that you are most concerned with, as mentioned split-grade printing or consider selective bleaching that might help.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/
    http://wwwsculptureandphotography.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin