Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,410   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 blade easel ?

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

2 blade easel ?

I've been contemplating an easel purchase. I have an 8x10 hinged, fixed border thing, which seems to be about a hair too small on the long edge such that the paper doesn't lay flat. For 11x14 and larger, I've been projecting directly on to the paper, but the soft edges and slight keystoning look sloppy.

So I've been looking at two-blade and four blade easels. I realize four-blade is ideal, but I have a question about the two blade jobbies: Since I can only adjust two blades, it would seem that the top and left borders are fixed or restricted. So what is the working border range of these easels? For 35mm, I usually print 6x9 centered to 8x10, and for 120 square, I do 7.5x7.5 with a quarter inch border on three sides. I would be interested in an 8x10 or 11x14 easel.

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you are going to mount the print you can Guillotine the margins first.

Shooter
    35mm
    There are also three bladed easels, which give much of the flexibility of the four bladed version while being much cheaper (smaller baseboard and simpler mechanically). I'd suggest looking for one a little larger than the size of paper you currently expect to print as gaining larger printing-trays is a lot more likely than someone gifting you a huge easel . . .

The cheapest (and nastiest) two blade easel I've used had adjustable borders from almost-zero up to 15mm. The better quality easels would typically have more border range, better paper-holding devices and stay square at all positions of the arms.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have several of the cheap'n'nasty two blade easels - They are kinda OK for proof prints and when you are not too worried about the margins being square.

When the opportunity arose, I acquired some RRB two blade easels - These are adjustable in ¼" steps from ¼" up to 2" on the fixed side and the movable blades remain square.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look for a used 4 blade.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are trimming to dry mount then anything will do. If you like to print with set white borders and no mounting, then you need a four blade. The 11x14 size are everywhere, dirt cheap. I have three plus a 16x20.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would get a 4 bladed easel. It's much more flexible. I like big white borders on my prints so 4 bladed easels are my favorite. There are quite a few on Ebay for a decent price. I've owned an 11x14 Saunders for over 30 years and it still works well. I gotta grease it once in a while.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Look for a used 4 blade.
    what this guy said. A 4-blade gives you infinite vaiability for margin size, very handy.

Shooter
    35mm
    We all have a preference based on what we like to use. I use a Leitz easel for 16X20 and a RRB for 20X24, both are 2 blade and are excellent.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Often, the 11 x 14's are actually 14 x 17. You must read fine print and measure carefully. I have two that size and both will actually take a 12x16 if I wanted to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin