Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,775   Online: 848

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Images
    No room for a darkroom or enlarger. Can't get more frustrating than that.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    1) Modifying my Beseler 45MXT enlarger to use pin registered masks.

2) Getting perfect registration after dividing an exposure by three, then removing the negative and replacing it three times...or... after using a contrast reduction mask with the negative, then setting the dark tones with a shadow contrast increase mask.

3) Gaining an intuitive / complete understanding of the masking process.

1 & 2 are in the bag...3 is going to take a looooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg time!

Murray

4) As with everybody, time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My darkroom is in the laundry of my mother-inlaw’s house (I live in a small apartment) My biggest problem of late is convincing my wife that "Yes, you do want to spend another weekend at your mother's"

On the technical front it was probably trying to split grade a very contrasty neg. on graded paper! It only took me 3 prints to figure it out – I went to bed after that.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Dust!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bon-jip
    My darkroom is in the laundry of my mother-inlaw’s house (I live in a small apartment) My biggest problem of late is convincing my wife that "Yes, you do want to spend another weekend at your mother's"
    Now THAT must be a rare problem in the world. ;-)

Finding time was always a problem for me when I wanted to do it in large chunks, mostly due to small children as others have mentioned. My 'workaround' to the problem was to streamline the darkroom (pretty much a dry side w/ Nova tank) and work in steps. Last night was typical: new neg. into the carrier, test strips and two proof prints - all over the course of maybe an hour and half. Certainly not the most productive operation, but the only way I'm able to get in the DR consistently. Fri or Sat I'll likely finish this print and get started on another. Working on large FB prints takes a little more planning, and setting aside some uninterupted time (prior to washing). I usually swap out chem's and mix 'em during "down" times as well. My biggest time consideration is loading and processing film. No interuptions allowed there. Fortunately, it's pretty quick.

As to the original question, I'd say my biggest challenge -- aside from a nice negative & I don't think the gist of the ? -- is 'print interpretation'. I can nail down grade/exposure pretty well after test strip(s) and proof print. For me it's those prints (most) that need some dogde/burning to get the values correct. Yes, it's a very subjective process and result, but when done with skill (or luck) can really make a print sing. Part of this larger process is which paper to use, any/amount of toning, etc. Choices are endless - which is all part of the fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Getting the *#!@ door to stay light tight.

David.

Biggest trouble was spots on the negs and prints. All solved now with proper hepa air filters, 3 micron filtered water, and a clean darkroom.

Next biggest trouble was matching the sample book prints in quality to what I make. After years of struggle, the solution was simple- German glass, Leica, Zeiss, Schneider and Rodenstock. Like falling off a log simple.

Todays sample books no longer represent decent black and white prints so you just have to know what can be achieved.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well... maybe an expired Russian paper? Or 25 liter jug of a hardening fixer, broken and spilled on the floor? Or maybe Soviet filters in red lights? I just can't nail down a real problem, you see

Shooter
    35mm

money

I am retired. My biggest challenge is affording film, paper and chemicals.

Images
    Getting out of the darkroom once I'm in there, the hours just fly by. I spoke to an eighty six year old gentleman last summer. We had a lengthy discussion about how as you get older time seems to go more quickly, hours,weeks, months even years get shorter. No there is no one out there making the clocks go round faster!This guy has it sussed, he told me that as you get older every task you need to do takes you longer to complete. When you are young you get your work done quickly and earn more free time. I just wish I could put life first work second. Bloody hell is it that time already, must dash...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin