Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,110   Online: 1102

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    dust, time, gremlins...in that order
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That must be setting it up in the batheroom each time. Another thing is the height of the "table" on the bathtub where the trays are standing when developing the prints. Sure is the recepy for PITB. I am going to make some kind of boxes/closets to put on top of the bathtup to get better working heights (how to put this ?)
    Regards Søren

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Symchyshyn
    Finding time to get in the darkroom and print! (That's my biggest challenge)

joe

Amen!

Plus:

1. Remembering that regardless of how good the negative and print quality are, if it ain't a picture worth looking at to begin with, it's all for naught. Good darkroom work starts with good seeing behind the camera. Hence, I end up with some fairly disappointing times in the darkroom. This is when I try to remember Cartier-Bresson's quip that one's first 10,000 negs are the worst.

2. I hate neg filing and contact printing. I do it faithfully, but I hate it. I also hate film developing, which is perhaps why I have simplified that part to about as simple as I can get it. Find one or two films that you like, find the one developer that works well for the films, and stick with it. For myself, that means Delta 400 and Fuji ACROS, developed in Phenidone/Vitamin C.

Larry

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    That must be setting it up in the batheroom each time. Another thing is the height of the "table" on the bathtub where the trays are standing when developing the prints. Sure is the recepy for PITB. I am going to make some kind of boxes/closets to put on top of the bathtup to get better working heights (how to put this ?)
    Regards Søren
    My first home darkroom was a bathroom in graduate school married housing. I built a platform that was 18 inches above the tub. Solved the pain-in-the-back problem, but it was hell for my wife who had to climb under it to take a bath when she was 7-8 months pregnant. I figured if she didn't divorce me then, the marriage would probably last. It has, for 35 years so far.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My biggest challenge is actually motivating myself to get into the darkroom. I know this is going to sound like heresy, but I detest working in the darkroom. I enjoy the finished result, i.e. the print, but getting there is just a necessary evil. Mind you, it still far, far better than friggin' around with an image on a computer screen! BLIGHTY.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD
    What frustrates you? What do you pull your hair out trying to accomplish? What is it about printing that is most challenging for you?

It would help me to know that other people are struggling to get the prints
    they want, as well!
    It all comes down to light, you have to learn to look at light. And in the darkroom the challenge is to make the light in the photograph sing, regardless of subject matter.But the light has to be interesting in the negitive first.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin