Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,515   Online: 811

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What is your biggest enlarging challenge?

What frustrates you? What do you pull your hair out trying to accomplish? What is it about printing that is most challenging for you?

It would help me to know that other people are struggling to get the prints
    they want, as well!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Finding time to get in the darkroom and print! (That's my biggest challenge)

joe

Images
    I agree with Joe. I built a darkroom 2, no wait 3, years ago and yet to use it. Small kids take a lot of time.

Brian

Images
    It used to be printing those really contrasty negs, the ones that give you that "soot and chalk" look.

However, I recently fitted an Omega dichroic head onto my Beseler 23CII. Between the diffusion light source, and the ease of dialing in the dichroics for contrast, man what a difference!

Split filtering is now a breeze, and I hadn't realized what a powerful tool that is. I just printed a neg of some pure white dogwoods against a background that runs a full range of tones to jet black, a neg I'd long ago given up on. There is lovely detail in the highlights while maintaining the range of tone. No dodging or burning. Amazing!

My problem now, like others: time.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Finding time is also a challenge for me. I have smaller kids and a lot of family responsibilities. I would like to work 3 or 4 times a month but am lucky if I get in there once per month. When my son is working on his science projects for the science Olympiad there is so much dust and projects I can't get in there for about 3 to 4 months. Since my darkroom is semi -permanent (the dry side is always set up but I need to put up light blocking curtains and set up the wet side) it takes me at least an hour to set up usually more. It takes me almost 2 hours to clean up and break down the wet side. So I only print when I can commit for at least 8 hours usually more.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One word: Color!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Images
    Good Morning,

About thirty years ago, I became the yearbook advisor at my high school. I ended up taking home for printing any number of student-shot and, sometimes, student-processed negatives. I quickly realized that my fastidiousness in processing and handling processed film wasn't always characteristic of my students. I had negatives of extremely high or low contrast, negatives with fixer spots on them, negatives with sticky fingerprints on them, negatives which had been greatly under- or over-exposed, etc. In most cases, naturally, the subject matter was something which could not be re-shot. Fortunately, most yearbook photos end up as rather small-sized reproductions, so some flaws were not particularly obvious. In later years, I did manage to find some student photographers who were a bit more careful.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Time. Always time. There is always more to print than I can set aside the time to print.

Bad karma. Even when I get the time to print, sometimes I can't pull a decent print if my life depends on it. When the bad ju-ju interferes, it's best to just pour out the chemicals, put away the negatives, cover up the enlarger and let the black clouds move on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As many of the others have stated - TIME to get in there and print!!!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene
    As many of the others have stated - TIME to get in there and print!!!

gene
    Yep. totally. Used to be, not enough "darkness". Sometimes I want to print in the daytime but too much light but now my darkroom is in garage. I just tape up the air louvers.

For technical stuff, I find, that street shooting in many, many contrast ranges are hard to print. If I had to do street shooting stuff again today, it may benefit from 2 bath development so the highlights will get toned down. If not, a lot of street shooting has that "harsh" look it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin