Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,379   Posts: 1,682,979   Online: 643

Shooter
    Large Format

Comments on Beseler 45V-XL with 810 Conversion ?

Hi, I am going to look at a Beseler 45V-XL with the 810 conversion head on it with the Aristo cold light head.

I have been a long time 8x10 contact printer and been enlarging my 4x5 on my Beseler 45MX for many years.

It would be really nice to be able to enlarge my 8x10 negatives.

I would like input and comments from anyone that owns or has used the 45V-XL with 810 conversion head.

1 - general thoughts about the unit ?

2 - biggest print that can be made on baseboard? (I believe it has the 240mm lens)

3 - what do you do for variable contrast filters (above or below the lens)?

4 - Do you use ANR glass in your carrier to keep the 8x10 negatives flat? Any other thoughts on this?

5 - total height from the base to the top of the column?

Thank you for your time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vxl in general is great, a big step up from the 45m series. I don't have the 810 head, but unless you go to something huge like a giant durst or devere maybe, the vxl is a great choice overall.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Vxl in general is great, a big step up from the 45m series. I don't have the 810 head, but unless you go to something huge like a giant durst or devere maybe, the vxl is a great choice overall.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    1 - general thoughts about the unit.

I like mine, solid construction.

2 - biggest print that can be made on baseboard? (I believe it has the 240mm lens)

​Vertical column is the main constraint along with the type of easel you use

There is a provision for below the lens filters, Ilford makes 12x12 filters that you could use above the negative

4 - Do you use ANR glass in your carrier to keep the 8x10 negatives flat? Any other thoughts on this?

Beseler glassless negative carrier does a good job of keeping the negative flat, so I have not used a glass carrier

About 55 inches - you can wall mount it if you need more distance - most heads will extend above the column top at full elevation

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Bob. What size prints are you making from your 8x10 negatives with your unit?

I constructed a special cabinet system for my 45MX to allow me to make 40x30 prints. The cabinet has a big u-shaped opening to allow the light to go down to the base and make the bigger enlargements. My cabinet has a steel plate on the bottom and I use super magnets and a custom cut window mat as my easel system. I was hoping to find out how big I could print on the baseboard with the 240 lens so I could start lining up my next steps to make the bigger prints. I could have gone bigger than 40x30 with the 45MX system, but I had to custom make my own processing trays and that was a major project within itself.

My goal with the 8x10 enlarger is to simply to be able to make enlargements from my 8x10 negatives vs. always contact printing them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmann View Post
    1 - general thoughts about the unit.

I like mine, solid construction.

​Vertical column is the main constraint along with the type of easel you use

There is a provision for below the lens filters, Ilford makes 12x12 filters that you could use above the negative

Beseler glassless negative carrier does a good job of keeping the negative flat, so I have not used a glass carrier

About 55 inches - you can wall mount it if you need more distance - most heads will extend above the column top at full elevation

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The largest print I have made is a 16x20 - but that is the limit on my tray/sink set up not the projected image. Beseler is still in business, give them a call - I am sure they could give you the best answer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin