Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,657   Posts: 1,623,753   Online: 1092

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

John Sexton: Exprssive Print workshop. Has anyone done this?

Hi folks,

I am very seriously considering attending (if I am accepted) John Sexton's print workshop next March. I've been printing for almost 30 years on self teaching. I've never taken a print making class. Instead, I've read the Ansel Adams books, The Camera, The Negative, and The Print.

If you've had the workshop, what did you get out of it? Anyone come into the workshop feeling like they were the only noob in the room? Were you treated with respect anyway?
    Last edited by SchwinnParamount; 11-22-2014 at 07:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I attended Johns Expressive Print Work shop about 2 years ago. Like you I have been printing my own prints for over forty years as a hobby, even so it was a learning experience, and also a reinforcement of many things right I have already been doing. The only other print workshops I have taken were with Per Volaqaurz about 4 years ago and one with Bob Carney last year. They all had there own Techniques , what was the same with all of them is there Passion for making a Fine Print. John's class was a 4 or 5 days, in which time he discusses alot in class and darkroom. It was well worth my time and money to attend, so diffidently go for it.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took this workshop 10 years ago and was treated with high respect,learned how others do things and made new friends,highly recommended.AAbooks are great;hands-onby a master printer is much better!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    Hi folks,

I am very seriously considering attending (if I am accepted) John Sexton's print workshop next March. I've been printing for almost 30 years on self teaching. I've never taken a print making class. Instead, I've read the Ansel Adams books, The Camera, The Negative, and The Print.

If you've had the workshop, what did you get out of it? Anyone come into the workshop feeling like they were the only noob in the room? Were you treated with respect anyway?
    I did the workshop several years ago. I was not a noob but there were mostly noobs in the workshop and you will definitely be treated with respect. In addition to having a portfolio reviewed, you will get to watch John and Anne in the darkroom as they walk you through the developing and printing process, controls and materials. In addition, Anne will demystify print finishing techniques like spotting and dry-mounting. These are excellent demonstrations. All along the way you can ask John ANYTHING about ANYTHING. Some of the other perks include first hand views of some straight prints of Ansel Adams's negatives, burning/dodging tools etc. along with insight into what it was like working with him. During meals he also has great stories to share about Adams, Brett Weston etc. I don't know if they still do this, but when I went there was one afternoon spent at Point Lobos. While there, John did some metering/Zone System demonstrations, after which you were either free to wander and photograph, or stay with John (which I did) to talk about other stuff, and he also did some view camera movement tutorials.

I was already an experienced worker, but I had a blast. And so did everyone else in the group regardless of experience or skill level.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin