Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,832   Online: 889

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hole Burning Tool

I saw recently a hole burning tool that had in the center a series of blades in a circle (like a lens aperature) that you could adjust to any size and shape. Has anyone seen one like this and know where you can buy one?

Ted

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Ted,

Want a low-tech, low-budget atlernative? I use a 13"x16" piece of cardboard with about a 2" diameter hole cut out of the centre. To the side of the hole is a 6" diameter disc with different sized holes in it, from about 1/8" diameter to 2" diameter. Just spin the disc to line up the size of burning hole you need over the big hole underneath. The bottom is covered with a deep flat black paper. It would be simple enough to cut special shapes when needed.

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    @MM:

Thanks for the tip. I will try to make one right ahead!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Hi Ted,

Want a low-tech, low-budget atlernative? I use a 13"x16" piece of cardboard with about a 2" diameter hole cut out of the centre. To the side of the hole is a 6" diameter disc with different sized holes in it, from about 1/8" diameter to 2" diameter. Just spin the disc to line up the size of burning hole you need over the big hole underneath. The bottom is covered with a deep flat black paper. It would be simple enough to cut special shapes when needed.

Murray
    You don't even need anything that complex. I use a sheet of card with a single hole. The closer you hold it to the enlarger lens the bigger, effectively, the hole is and vice versa.

David.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've never used anything but my hands!?

The only "tools" I use for printing is a sheet of paper for large-scale gradual burns, and an AN-glass 6x6 slide frame for softening...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tfelton
    I saw recently a hole burning tool that had in the center a series of blades in a circle (like a lens aperature) that you could adjust to any size and shape. Has anyone seen one like this and know where you can buy one?

Ted
    Hey,
    I think what you are looking for is a Testrite vignetter #1. The #2 is, as the other fellow described, a series of cutout on a circular piece of plastic which rotates beneath a larger board.

http://www2.clicshop.com/Scripts/Log...ge=2&U=photoco
    Is this it?

Any independent photo retailer should be able to order this for you.
    Celac.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I've never used anything but my hands!?
    That's the way I learned it too. For "holes" put the web section by your thumb and meet it with the other hand. Open and close for holes. Requires practice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    That's the way I learned it too. For "holes" put the web section by your thumb and meet it with the other hand. Open and close for holes. Requires practice.

i'm with you two.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    me three

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Maybe not so fast to join the numbering throng. I contact print 8x20 and 11x14 and it's pretty tough to cover the negs with just curved fingers. I was using large pieces of black paper stock with various holes punched through them but then changing the size of the holes became a pain. Somehow, somewhere I had come across one of the 'iris' type card but didn't use it for quite a while. Now I have the thing mounted onto a stiff piece of black mounting board and burning is now easier for those bits that need careful burning. The hands still work for dodging corners or broad areas. There are so many different ways to do the same things. Sometimes I use the wrong finger at the right time last last week when that guy cut me off in traffic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin