Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,771   Posts: 1,670,932   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

rate of printing

I have just got my wet darkroom 'up and running' for printing. It's quite cold and I've decided to work with the current room temp (about 60F), rather than try to warm up the processing chemicals.
    As of necessity, my processing times are longer than I'd use for a temperature of 70F, and no doubt this is contributing to a fairly miserable printing rate of about 2 negs per hour. I'm lucky to have a
    small Durst roller dryer for resin coated papers, so I'm not surrounded by acres of wet paper. Just wondered what rate everyone else was achieving?

Shooter
    35mm
    Temperature issues aside, 2 negatives/hour is more than I achieve. Find basic exposure, find proper grade, revise exposure, decide on dodge/burn...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    With fibre paper, 2 fine prints (from different negatives and up to placing in holding bath) per hour is what I generally achieve.

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm impressed, I only get most of one print in one session. Some times it takes two or more sessions to get an acceptable print, and another to tone.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    I use RC paper and the temperature of my temporary darkroom is about 22 C (70 F approximately). When I know my negatives are good (meaning not too dense, nor too thin) I can manage 3 or 4 prints per hour. But that is ideal situation, many times is less than that. Printing 2 negatives per hour (properly) sounds very good to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I solved the temperature issue by purchasing a small space heater with an actual temperature readout. It's small, but I turn it on when I come home from work and the room (and more importantly, the chemicals and countertop the trays sit on) are at 68 and stable when I'm ready to work in the darkroom later that evening.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, I agree if printing something special on FB, and toning, not much more than 2 prints hour, but if I am printing off straight prints which don't need setting up/burning in etc, I can get up to 6/hour. With RC, I quite often have a neg printing in the enlarger, when the one before is in the fix. When using FB I can only dry 2 9x12 or 4 8x10 max anyway because I tape down to glass. I use a RHD Analyser Pro and 90% of the time with properly exposed negatives the analyser gives me a decent exposure/contrast straight off and the first print is good. Sometimes, of course I see the first print and have to tweak settings to improve it. I never make test strips. I probably burn 10%-20% of paper to waste in total. The rest makes keepable prints (although not all are that good photographically, of course! ).

Don't know about others but I find my darkroom sessions vary; sometimes I just want to churn out some prints from a particular film onto RC, other times I take ages fiddling to get the best image I can. Also, sometimes everything drops in to place like clockwork, sometimes everything is cack-handed. I think the slowness of printing is part of the long-term attraction. I usually print a handful from each film, but the un-printed are a huge resource to go back to in the future, and discover something for the first time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hardly ever manage to print more than two prints in one session.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are spending more than 5 minutes in the developer, consider using a tray heater.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One 8x10 fibre a weekend typical neg ie not straight.
    And a box in recycle bin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin