Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,873   Online: 1068

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
    My Nikkor 50mm 2.8 doesn't have an illuminated stop. Is this a feature of the newer models?
    It must be...My 50mm f2.8 is not illuminated, but my 75mm f4 is. The former is an all metal construction and the latter is made largely out of plastic.

Just MHO,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, folks, my mistake. The 50 f/2.8 Nikkor does not have illuminated stops.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic
    At my work we have two nikkor enlarging lens for sale. a nikkor 50mm f4 and a 80mm f5.6 (my boss will give me both for 50 bucks) My question is I saw there is a 50mm f2.8 and a f4 is there any quality difference between the two? is it really worth having the f2.8?
    Buy both--for $50 you can't possibly go wrong.

Unless you're printing Ilfochromes with very long exposure times, or gigantic enlargements in B&W, you will never need the f2.8 lens. Even when I was printing Ilfochromes, I still used my 2.8 at f4 because it wasn't as sharp at 2.8. The chief advantage of the 2.8 is that it gives you a little brighter image for focusing, but you should focus at the f stop you'll be using anyway. Most enlarging lenses hit their optimum sharpness about two stops down from wide open, i.e. at around f8 or f11 depending. After that, you begin to get diffraction effects, which while not hugely noticeable, do lessen the appearance of sharpness somewhat.

I suspect at f8 or f11, the Nikkor f4 is every bit as good a lens as the f2.8.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 has illuminated fstops. They must have changed the design at some point.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use an El-Nikkor 50/2.8, the all-metal one. I swear by it, it is a fantastic enlarging lens. I also have an El-Nikkor 80/5.6 and while it is nice, I get better prints using my Fujinon EX 135/5.6 (for what it's worth). I think my 80mm might be a dud.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I just purchased an EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 for $75, so for $50 for both of yours - it's a no-brainer. My father has used the 50mm f/4 for ages, and he's got no complaints at all. It's a great lens!

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier
    El Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 vs f/4 - I had an f/4 (2 of them, actually) for over 30 yrs. At one point I finally decided I should try the f/2.8. I made very controlled tests and could tell virtually no differences. I was given a 2.8 later and enjoy the brighter aperature for focussing, and the illuminated stop as someone pointed out, but don't believe there is much if any quality difference.
    I was going to say the same thing. I doubt there's any significant qualitative difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin