Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,358   Online: 1123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikkor 50mm f2.8 v. f4

At my work we have two nikkor enlarging lens for sale. a nikkor 50mm f4 and a 80mm f5.6 (my boss will give me both for 50 bucks) My question is I saw there is a 50mm f2.8 and a f4 is there any quality difference between the two? is it really worth having the f2.8?
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic
    At my work we have two nikkor enlarging lens for sale. a nikkor 50mm f4 and a 80mm f5.6 (my boss will give me both for 50 bucks) My question is I saw there is a 50mm f2.8 and a f4 is there any quality difference between the two? is it really worth having the f2.8?
    Hi !
    As far as I recall, and may be wrong, the EL NIkkor 50 f/4.0 is a four lenses lens, and the F/2.8 is a six lenses.
    Buy the two, if you have any use of the 80 mm which is really good. For $50 it is a bargain (provided there are no fungus nor scratches on the lenses).
    Try the 50 and if not good sell it, and find a 2.8 or better an 63mm F2.8 which is the best lenses for 135 film Nikon produced.
    Enjoy !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ryan,
    I can't tell you about the difference in quality between the 50mm f2.8 and f4

I do, however, have the 50mm f2.8 and never use it at 2.8; I usually use it at f11 or f8. 2.8 is just too fast.

Even if the f4 is of 'lesser' quality than the f2.8, I'm willing to bet that it's still an excellent lens.

And at $50 for a 50mm and an 80mm the quality is probably excellent

Cheers,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ryan,

The 50mm f/2.8 is a 6-element enlarging lens and the 50mm f/4 is a 4-element enlarging lens. The f/4 is still reputed to be one of the best 4-element enlarging lenses.

If you don't need the 80mm f/5.6 (or if the boss has another one to sell) let me know, I've been looking for one to match with my 50mm f/2.8.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I agree with the others. The 2.8 is a six element lens and the 4.0 has four elements and possibly only three. The 2.8 will give a flatter field and more sharpness in the corners. I agree also take the 80mm you might need it in the future.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Images
    Good Afternoon, Ryan,

For the price you cited, grab them both, even if you don't have an immediate use for either one!

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a f4 and now have the f2.8 The extra stop is nice for focusing but the major advantage to me is the lit aperture scale on the f2.8. Print wise I've never made a comparision but no one ever told me I needed a sharper enlarger lens with prints from the f4, so for the price, buy 'em... use it while you casually keep an eye out for a suitabley priced f2.8 and onsell the 80 to Jeremy...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    El Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 vs f/4 - I had an f/4 (2 of them, actually) for over 30 yrs. At one point I finally decided I should try the f/2.8. I made very controlled tests and could tell virtually no differences. I was given a 2.8 later and enjoy the brighter aperature for focussing, and the illuminated stop as someone pointed out, but don't believe there is much if any quality difference.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesGiralt
    Buy the two, if you have any use of the 80 mm which is really good. For $50 it is a bargain (provided there are no fungus nor scratches on the lenses).
    Try the 50 and if not good sell it, and find a 2.8 or better an 63mm F2.8 which is the best lenses for 135 film Nikon produced.
    Enjoy !
    Ditto!

I use the 80mm for med format and the 63mm for 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Nikkor 50mm 2.8 doesn't have an illuminated stop. Is this a feature of the newer models?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin