Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,525   Online: 1058

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    try Black and white Photograhic Printing Workshop by Larry Bartlett and Jon Tarrant, along with the others already mentioned
    Ann, I have long espoused this as one of the best B&W printing books as it shows you exactly what someone has done with each image as opposed to talking about a bunch of techniques with no examples. It has a special place on my bookshelf.

In addition to this book I recommend our own Les McLean's book for printing and general B&W photography.

Way Beyond Monochrome may be delving more into the sensitometric side than you seem to be looking for, based on your first post.

I have all 3 books above and can say that they are all worth having.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    35mm
    The two that I use and regularly dip into are

Tim Rudmans Master Printing Course, which is excellent and was my bible until
    Ralph lambrecht and Chris came along with Way beyond monochrome. Very, Very, in depth technical book.

Regards

Photogeek

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Well, I'm not really happy with "Way Beyond Monochrome" and "Creative BW" by Les. If I'd choose one book from these two, I'd take only "Way..." because it contains much more interesting me information, too scientific though, on my taste. But Les' book is also worth to have in library.

Anyway, I'd give last chance to Larry Bartlett and Tim Rudman books, since I order blindly from Amazon without possibility to check suitability of books in local bookstores due to complete absence of such literature there, and I cannot afford to spend so much money (especially ordering from Amazon UK, the only place where the last mentioned books are available for me).
    Best regards,
    Evgeny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a little surprised no mention is made of Saint Ansel's very own The Print
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

David Vestal

The Art of Black and White Enlarging by David Vestal-probably out of print but an excellant book. There are many fine used dealers on the web.
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    I'm a little surprised no mention is made of Saint Ansel's very own The Print
    cultivating personal deification, huh?
    Best regards,
    Evgeny

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    The Art of Black and White Enlarging by David Vestal-probably out of print but an excellant book. There are many fine used dealers on the web.
    Best, Peter
    Thanks Peter,
    I've heard a lot about this book, it is out of print long time already, still available used, but shipment from dealers costs near to a mini-yacht cost.
    Best regards,
    Evgeny

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Best advice. Thanks Ann.
    Best regards,
    Evgeny

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    Best, Peter
    This is a great book which I can recommend & if you do a seach on http://www.abebooks.com/ you will find some copies for sale.

Andy

Vestal also wrote "the book of Craft" also excellent. Go to Amazon dot com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin