Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,668   Online: 907

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor
    Will, it might be like this.. Smart idea, I didn't think of that.
    I apologize for the art, it was quick!
    thanks! I think I'll try it tonight.

Best,

will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are there any good ways of verifying the laser is truely plumb in such a setup?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Rotate the base and watch the beam/dot, once it stops spinning in circles on the ceiling and stays seemingly stationary it's balanced/plumb. I'd imagine, atleast. That's a real smart way of doing that too.

I love apug.
    Last edited by Phillip P. Dimor; 04-08-2005 at 06:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong cut and paste

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor
    Rotate the base and watch the beam/dot, once it stops spinning in circles on the ceiling and stays seemingly stationary it's balanced/plumb. I'd imagine, atleast. That's a real smart way of doing that too.

I love apug.
    And it is the way Versalab recommends on how to check for this..

Shooter
    Medium Format

plumb and parralell is not the same....

Plumbing your enlarger is not going to make the surfaces parralell. If your enlarger is sitting on a bench that is not perfectly level, you will plumb the enlarger's surfaces but they won't be aligned properly with the base.

If you perfectly level the baseboard, plumb method will work. So that laser pen has to be perfectly perpendicular, 90°, with the surface, not plumb.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No pictures of what I built, sorry. Excellent sketch Phillip. Very close to what I built. I used three angle brackets rather than 4, for a simple 'tripod'. No wood base. I put a screw in each bracket with the head facing down on the baseboard. Two nuts on each screw, one above and one below the angle bracket. Once the laser pointer is held firmly in the bracket tripod (with two hose clamps), it was easy to adjust the screws until the laser pointer was exactly perpendicular to the baseboard. Put the assembly on any table and tape the laser pointer's on button down. This puts a dot on the ceiling. Spin the assembly slowly and the dot will make circles, because it will certainly not be at 90 degrees initially. Adjust the screws slightly until the circles on the ceiling get smaller, and smaller, until the circles become a single dot. Perfectly perpendicular.

Once perpendicular (took me about 5 minutes to get it exact), you simply have to place the assembly on your previously leveled baseboard and hold a mirror flat against the neg carrier (neg plane) and adjust your enlarger's leveling adjustments to perfectly align the baseboard with the neg plane. Do same for face of enlarger lens (lens plane).

Assuming your enlarger has leveling adjustments like my Omega D2V, you can easily align the neg, lens and baseboard planes. Buying the laser alignment tool, about $150 I think, would have been easy. My way costs about $4 plus the cost of a cheap laser pointer. (I already had one laying around.)

Works great. Hope this idea helps other people too. APUGers have helped me in so many areas.
    Success comes in cans.............. Failure comes in cant's

Shooter
    Medium Format

yes perpendicular...

I see what you did, it was a miss understanding of terms, perpendicular is what you meant all along.

Great project and a nice way to assure accuracy with the spinning method.

I use the mirrors but on top I have an old prism I salvaged from a junker 35mm camera. I removed the focusing screen and now I can look from the top of my enlarger thru the hole in the mirror at 90° instead of climbing up top over the head to look down. I also made a 4x4 mirror I mount in the lensboard of my 23CII that also has a hole and an X scraped in the silver as well so I can see thru from the top of the enlarger to align all surfaces.

Nice laser tool though. I'm going to try making one this afternoon. Thanks fro the ideas.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm not all thumbs and would make a laser tool like Sinarfar's if I had a laser pointer.

The device I purchased isn't a real laser plumb bob, it's more of a 90degree laser pointer (i guess..) it's very similar to the Versalab box.

I wall-mounted my DII using right angle brackets, wood and plumbers strap. There's no way it can be even remotely aligned. I tried a bubble level and a 8x10 sheet of glass.. My prints aren't unsharp but I still worry. Atleast with the laser I can have a visual guide.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I received my 'LaserSpot' perpendicular laser leveler device and tried a test run with a small mirror on top of my negative carrier. It works fine! Now i'm on the quest for some first surface mirrors. www.sciplus.com carries several, one mirror is 5"x8" and is fs on one side and bs on the opposite, $5. They also carry 8x10 optical sheet glass for $5 a piece which would work great for some homemade ground glass. I've no connection with American Science & Surplus, other than that of a happy customer..

This laser tool is neat!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've found it:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=64-2988#

Yea, Radio Shack, it does it all, level to 90 degrees and a reasonable price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin