Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 738

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Contrast filter colors

Hello!
    I've got only one question, don't know how incoherent it is.
    But I just want to know, which color filters increase contrast and which - decrease. And which colors - more and which - less (like - medium green - #3;
    dark blue - #5 and so on). I've never used any filters, so I don't know.
    Hope You got the idea.
    Thanks a lot!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by reinis
    Hello!
    I've got only one question, don't know how incoherent it is.
    But I just want to know, which color filters increase contrast and which - decrease. And which colors - more and which - less (like - medium green - #3;
    dark blue - #5 and so on). I've never used any filters, so I don't know.
    Hope You got the idea.
    Thanks a lot!
    Filters absorb their complements. Two colors that are close in value but different in hue (red and green apples for instance) will reproduce as a similar grey value when no filter is used. If a gree filter is used, the green apple will appear lighter and the red one darker. Using a red filter will make the red apple lighter and the green one darker.

And so on....

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the filters you are quoting here are filters that are used in the field when taking the pictures.

Because this question has been posted under the enlarging thread, i will assume that you mean the filters used with printing. These are not the same.

You will need to purchase a set of enlarging filters. These run from 00 to 5. The lower numbers reduce contrast, the higher numbers increase contrast.

If i have mis-understood your queston then the filter numbers you are talking about, separate gray values with black and white film. With these filters, the color used lightens that color and darkens it opposite color, which is found on a color wheel. I.E.
    A red filter will lighten red and darken blue.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    the filters you are quoting here are filters that are used in the field when taking the pictures.

Because this question has been posted under the enlarging thread, i will assume that you mean the filters used with printing. These are not the same.

You will need to purchase a set of enlarging filters. These run from 00 to 5. The lower numbers reduce contrast, the higher numbers increase contrast.

If i have mis-understood your queston then the filter numbers you are talking about, separate gray values with black and white film. With these filters, the color used lightens that color and darkens it opposite color, which is found on a color wheel. I.E.
    A red filter will lighten red and darken blue.
    Well, I meant the filters used with printing. Yes, I just need some two or three filters, not the whole set. So, I'll look only for those filters (colors) I need.
    So, if You know, can You tell me please what color are the #5 or #4 filters?
    Or, if I'm telling something wrong, tell me please.
    Isn't it more or lesss like this - The blue (printing) filters increase contrast, but the green ones - decrease.
    Isn't it like this? Isn't it only the matter of color?
    (Yes, I know that my wueston could look absurd or awkward)
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Others can answer this better, but I don't think it is only a matter of colour. The printing filters I have are all shades of red/orange. I'm sure there are many types, but mine are simple plastic squares that fit in the enlarger. They are not nearly as expensive as the filters used for taking pictures, and come as a set from 00 to 5, as Ann said.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes when using VC paper blue increases contrast and green reduces it compared to no filter. In actual fact though the filters sets sold for printing on VC paper are Yellow and Magenta. Ypu can think of yellow as being red+green, and magenta as being blue+red. The VC emulsion is blind...has no sensitivity...to red. I would suggest that you buy a full set as I believe you will end up using all of them or buy a set of 98 and 99 filters,,,58 and 47b would be quite similar. These two filters used sequentially would allow you to create a full spectrum of grades in a stepless manner. They would not be anywheres near the convenience of a filter set. These 2 filters may not be available in acetate. You may have to buy polyester, gelatine or glass.

I believe that Ebay normally has filter set available new. I am not conversant with the prices at camera stores or Ebay.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the printing filters come in sets. At one time, one could buy Ilford filters by the sheet bt they are a 12 inch filter.

The higher the contrast the deeper the maganta color of the filter
    What is the light source on the enlarger you are using?

Is it a VC type? If so, this is probably why you are thinking blue and green.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I'm from Latvia, and here it's not so simple to get anything You want from ebay or simply go to the nearest shop.
    As I said, I've never tried, so I have not used the VC paper yet, but I think it will be tura or Agfa.
    It's hard to get any Ilford stuff here now.
    The enlarger ligt source? Well, the enlarger is an old "Krokuss color 4" (made in USSR), probably the name won' tell You anything.
    But the source is either a simple matt bulb, or some kind of a little halogen bulb (with the smallestfilament).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can buy from Adorama, a filter set is around $25 US, depending on the size and brand. It's better to get the filters from the same brand as the paper you will use, but it's not written in stone.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    if this is a color head enlarger. you have three dial in channels of color.
    WHen printing b&w you do not use the blue,(cyan) channel. Only the yellow and red.

yellow will lessen the contrast, while the red , or maganta channel will increase contrast.

the paper you use should have a chart that will recommend how much of each is needed to achieve a starting point for the contrast.

Until you us VC paper, the filters will not be of any value.
    Graded paper does not need a filter

If this enlarger does not have dial in filters you will need to find a set of VC filters, or as someone else suggested, a 58 or 47b filter. which has already been suggested in another reply to this question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin