Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,409   Online: 878

Shooter
    4x5 Format

How to Align a Leitz Focomat V35 Enlarger?

Does anyone know how to align a Focomat V35? I bought one -- great enlarger! -- but it needs to have just a bit of alignment. I'm not sure if the best bet is to "align" the easel in some manner or if there is a way to adjust the lens stage, but I need help.

I used to use a Beseler 23C with the Zone VI adjustable lens stage for alignment and that was perfect; sure wish I had something like that on my Leitz.

Please advise if anyone has experience with this. Thanks a million!

Michael McClellan
    Dublin, IRELAND

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not believe it is possible to align it yourself. I owned one...a really nice enlarger..in the 70's. If your prints show the effects of being out of alignment you have a tough problem to resolve. It is very hard for me to imagine this happening unless the enlarger a). suffered a real whack or B). Was used so heavily that it is worn.

The only options I can think of are using tape as required underneath the negative carrier and tipping the easel. Firstly, I believe you have to determine which is out of line...negative stage, lens stage or baseboard.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks -- it is possible as I've heard of people doing it, but I'm sure it's complicated and not easy.

The enlarger did not get whacked as far as I know, but it's been around a while and shipped a few times, so that could be the problem.

I may end up putting a three-point screw mechanism under the easel and attempting alignment that way -- Scheimpflug principle, here we come!

Thanks.

Michael

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hope this isn't a lame idea, but have you thought of calling\writing the factory? I visited them once some years ago (I met with a tech who was building the V35 - that's how accomodating they were). I imagine they would be very helpful to you even if was just put point you to a reputable service center.
    I don't have their web-site handy, but I'm sure it's easy to find.
    -Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Good idea, but I was hoping for something faster. When all else fails, write to the rep!

Thanks.

Michael
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I have been thinking about this situation. How do you know it is an alignment problem? Could the source of your problem be coming from your lens..could a tilted or a decentrated element could be causing the problem?

If you would try another lens and you see the misalignment in the same place it would give you additional assurance that you are correct in your diagnosis. If the problen disappears then you were dealing with a lens fault.

These enlargers are pre aligned at the factory. They are perfect in this regard and not ajustable. They are unbelievably sharp corner to corner with a Focotar lens, even wide open. Check other things first. Maybe it got whacked in shipping. Some times I've heard of the larger 2-c's going out of alignment and people using spacers/washers at the base to work the problems out. Good luck! Emile/www.deleon-ulf.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin