Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,407   Online: 766

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    It sounds like you're covered. Before you replace any more lamps, check the line voltage or get someone to do it for you. The nominal 120 volts can be as high as 127 and the power company won't tell you. The life of a lamp is shortened drastically by a 5 volt over voltage.

I gave up trying to get the power company to do anything and made an autotransformer out of an old filament transformer. Reducing the line voltage by roughly the nominal output voltage of the transformer increased the life of my $21 lamps by about 10 times.

Now, if you don't know what a filament transformer is, you are much younger than I. Find someone who does. You can still get them at Radio Shack, but they may not call them filament transformers.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    .... if you don't know what a filament transformer is, you are much younger than I. Find someone who does. You can still get them at Radio Shack, but they may not call them filament transformers.
    Errrrm sounds like maybe just a month or two younger, but many thanks for the info I'm sure my local electrical store will know

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin