Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,814   Online: 1077

Thread: Spotty Lens

Shooter
    Medium Format

Spotty Lens

I held my el-nikor 80mm enlarging lens to a bright light, and saw many tiny bright spots inside. I'm thinking it's fungus (?). Someone said if I'm brave, It isn't that hard to take it apart and clean it. I did do this to a large telefoto once, and had no problem. I'm wondering if anyone has done this on such a small lens, and would realigning the elements be very difficult. Thanks for any suggestions. Russell Smith.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a UV light box? Try sticking it in there for a while, that will kill the fungus.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If no UV light box, carry the lens outside, open the aperture all the way, and let is sit in the sun for a few hours.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or if it's raining aim an angle lamp at it with the Bulb a few inches from the lens.

UV may kill the fungus (and may not) but it certainly won't clear away what's already there.

I routinely dismantle my lenses to clean them (I bought all of them used) and to get to know them, so to speak. I have never tried to separate glued cells tho. Just pay attention how the elements are positioned when you take them out (which face is down) and they'll go back really easy. Watch out for shims... you'll need to put them back in as well. If you have elements that won't come out and you're sure you removed all the retaining rings, then put some tape on the end of a pencil to "grab" the element and lift it out.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstewart
    UV may kill the fungus (and may not) but it certainly won't clear away what's already there.

I routinely dismantle my lenses to clean them (I bought all of them used) and to get to know them, so to speak. I have never tried to separate glued cells tho. Just pay attention how the elements are positioned when you take them out (which face is down) and they'll go back really easy. Watch out for shims... you'll need to put them back in as well. If you have elements that won't come out and you're sure you removed all the retaining rings, then put some tape on the end of a pencil to "grab" the element and lift it out.

Jim
    Thanks to everyone. I started to dismantle it today, but it didn't go well. I put it back together, and am still using it, but may buy another soon. Russell Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, Russell, I'd take another look at the lens, but with a magnifier of moderate power. What you may be seeing might be minute air bubbles in the glass, rather than fungus. Air bubbles will usually be little spheres, while fungus would typically be irregular in shape, somewhat similar to ice crystals on a window pane, and would usually show up somewhat darker then the surrounding glass. Air bubbles aren't usually a problem, but fungus eventually would be.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin