Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,460   Online: 883

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have the right bulb in the enlarger? The wrong size can create problems, if its a standard light bulb the coating is not really thick enough to do a good job and it might image the filaments or the filament support wires. Also it might image any imprinting on the end of the bulb.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    That's a good point. Do these type of bulbs have a double filament? Maybe it worked good at first but has lost some of it coating. I stopped by my local photo store and they are out of the bulbs till next week. Man, that would make my day if that's it.

When I get home, I might try loosening the bulb just a little and see if the lines move accordinly.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you sure it's not just a case of light leaks or surge marks on the negative? Those would produce light areas in the print, which would be fixed in orientation (given a negative inserted the same way each time) and would scale with the enlargement factor.

To eliminate this possibility, try rotating and/or flipping the negative in the carrier and see if the "glare" marks change orientation with the negative (or simply inspect the negative for a dark region that corresponds to the light "glare" mark you're seeing in your prints). If the glare moves with the negative, it's on the film; if not, it's something in the enlarger.

I have a 120 camera that has a light leak, but it's not in the bellows or image mask area, it's in the film supply or take-up chamber; I know this because I see a shadow of a pin roller in some/most of the light marks. However, the fogging shows in an image, because it's on an area of the film that will be in the next image, or was in the previous image, and in a B&W print or scan it looks very much like "glare"...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Funny I had the same exact problem with an old folding 120. One day a little screw fell out from the take-up chamber and I started getting these funny glare pattens on the negs which were only obvious in enlargement. Took me a heck or a time before i figured out it was the camera, since the camera never before gave me problems. If the bulb doesn't do it check the film under a loup looking for the glare as a +1/6 stop tonal change. You will see it if its there.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I hope to try a new bulb this weekend. I printed the negs on another enlarger, and they were fine. So I'm positive its the enlarger. Just hope it's the bulb. Those are cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had 2 parellel marks run across my prints before, and I have 2 enlargers so I dont think thats it. I belive in my case it was a defect in the paper as it ran dead center down the paper and happens about every 10 sheets or so. Im not all that worried about it as this was extremely cheap paper. I have not had the same problem with Ilford paper on the same machines, I also sometimes get irregular splotches with this paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a quick update.

Replaced the bulb, everything seems to be good now.

Man, that was fustrating.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin