Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,483   Online: 1059

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlamarsh
    . I'll be the first to agree however if you are making a 16x20 from a 35mm negative you 'd better have the best lens money can buy.
    .....but often price has little to do with it. I have many lenses and all produce razor sharp prints regardless of focal length. All were used, all were cheap. As I said in a prev thread, Barry Thornton reckoned his Minolta 50mm 4.5 was the best 35mm lens he ever had and they can be had for peanuts (he also said a second example was not that great, but good).

I think the best way to get good lenses is to buy used (cheap) and use them. If the prints look good, its agood lens, if not, sell and buy another.

FWIW I think the posted test does say a lot, the whole point being that like was not compared with like and there was still no difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Tom that there are many excellent lens available for very little money, overlooked brands include Kodak and Wollensak. When testing lens you really need a set of test negatives (available in 35 and MF for adjusting mimilabs), test at different F stops including wide open. The Rodenstock APO should out perform older lens wide open while most lens will perform well stopped down to F 8 or 11. I don't see any real value in comparing a 80mm with a 135 unless you use both lens for the same format.

Paul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano
    That's not a fair test.

Earl Dunbar wrote: "Take a Ferrari and use it for off-roading. Then take a Range Rover and race in the Indy 500."

Two totally different tasks, using tools that are suited for one specific tasks.
    Yes, and I agree with both of you. The test I suggested was just as unfair as the original test that was reported. I should have made the comment more obviously sarcastic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did quite a lot of similar tests to choose my current lens and could see real differences, but I used 6 x 7 Tech Pan then made 8x10 extracts from very large images with the enlarger head set up to project across the room. If you are sure that 9 x 12 is the biggest you will ever need, get the cheapest lens you can't tell is worse (excuse grammar).

David.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    .....but often price has little to do with it. I have many lenses and all produce razor sharp prints regardless of focal length. All were used, all were cheap. As I said in a prev thread, Barry Thornton reckoned his Minolta 50mm 4.5 was the best 35mm lens he ever had and they can be had for peanuts (he also said a second example was not that great, but good).

I think the best way to get good lenses is to buy used (cheap) and use them. If the prints look good, its agood lens, if not, sell and buy another.
    When I first got back into photography I picked up a Minolta 50mm f/4.5 and it produced what I thought were good results, then I got a Nikon 50mm f/2.8 and the results much better, razer sharp. Must have got an average Minolta, however they are very cheap over here so plenty to try, they very rarely go for more than a fiver on eBay UK. So I agree with Tom, buy half a dozen and give them a good test and sell on what you don't like.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin