Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,809   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

EL-Nikkor f2.8 versus f4.0

Which is the better lens? the f2.8 or the f4? Other than the 2.8 being brighter while focusing, of course, is there a qualitative difference between the lenses?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The 2.8 version is a 6 element lens which helps to give a flatter field. The 4 is a 4 element lens and will produce more distortion at the edges. I would assume the 6 element lens will produce shaper prints at greater magnifications.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks! And, since I'm shopping around, I might as well shop for the absolute best, perfect 35mm enlarging lens. Any recommendations? If not the EL-Nikkor f2.8, then what?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Nikon 63mm unless you want to spend a lot more money. Then the various APO lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Best bang for the buck has got to be one of the f/2.8, 6 element offerings from Nikon, Schneider, or Rodestock. Pick one, they're all good. APO lenses are good for giant sized (greater than 11x14) enlargements, but otherwise likely to be a waste of money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

EL Nikkor 5.6

Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    The 2.8 version is a 6 element lens which helps to give a flatter field. The 4 is a 4 element lens and will produce more distortion at the edges. I would assume the 6 element lens will produce shaper prints at greater magnifications.
    Just noticed this thread and wanted to ask for advise on the EL Nikkor 5.6 105mm lens. I am about to purchase one and the seller tells me it is a 6 element lens. Is this true and is it a good lens for 6x7 negs.

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz
    Just noticed this thread and wanted to ask for advise on the EL Nikkor 5.6 105mm lens. I am about to purchase one and the seller tells me it is a 6 element lens. Is this true and is it a good lens for 6x7 negs.

Peter
    I use an older 105mm f/5.6 EL Nikkor and it is an excellent lens for 6x7. I have made very sharp 16x20's with this lens.

The 50mm f/2.8 EL Nikkor is also excellent for 35mm. I have an f/4 that came with an enlarger I bought, but I haven't tested it out. I do use it as a decent loupe to inspect negs before printing however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 105mm will actually cover 6x9.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does anyone know if the EL Nikkor f5.6 105mm is a 6 element lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All the Nikon lenses other then the 50mm F/4.0 and the 75mm are six element designes. So yes the 105mm is a six element.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin