Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,180   Online: 811

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Durst Magico Enlarger: opinions?

Hi,

I am shopping for my first enlarger to getting started with BW printing (I started developing some 6 months ago). I only do 35mm, and my darkroom is a temp setup in my bathroom.

I have come across this Durst Magico enlarger listed on ebay (Ebay auction). Does anybody have any ideas or comments on this model?

Stefano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't know much about this model, but I can tell you that Durst make very good enlargers. I've owned several over the years and they built to last. Regards, BLIGHTY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Years ago, I too was restricted to using a bathroom and needed an enlarger that could be put up and taken down quickly and easily. I used a Durst M30 which came with a suitcase like box to store it in. I was very satisfied with the prints that it produced. The ebay ad shows that it has a lens but doesn't state what it is. Make sure to use the best enlarging lens that you can afford since the lens determines more than enything else the quality of the prints.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Generally Durst's are pretty good - I've got two 605's. However the Magico's are cheap low end equipment made out of plastic, that don't necessarily relate to the rest of the durst line.

Of course the light weight contruction could be an advantage if you need to keep setting up and putting away (and the postage is less!), but you'd probably prefer something more substantial.

At the price it's at, I'd go for it, if only for the experience - it's got to be worth £20, but I wouldn't bid much higher. I paid £50 for my second 605 (including lenses), and that's an all together more serious piece of equipment (and goes to 6x6). Of course postage was huge, but thats the nature of enlargers. If you're sure you only need 35mm, then the M30's are also of more serious contruction.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you for your opinion. Based on your suggestoins, it seems I might need to look for something more serious

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin