Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,974   Online: 898

Shooter
    Medium Format

aperture for nikkor 80mm

I'm wondering, is there a "best" aperture for printing from a 2 1/4 neg. on an 8x10 sheet? It seems like my exposure time is very short, ( 2 to 3 sec.) probably because the final size is so small, but I seem to remember something about 16 or 32 being less sharp? My enlarger is a condenser, and my lens is a nikkor 80mm 5.6. Thanks for any advise. Russell.

Images
    Good Evening, Russell,

General thinking is that enlarging lenses, even the good ones like your El-Nikkor, are best used at least a couple of stops down from full. If you use a condenser enlarger, your times for 8 x 10 from 6 x 6 negatives won't be very long with most papers. If you need longer times for better control or for some dodging, why not try f16 or f22. I'd bet that you will get good results form the El-Nikkor even down at f32. The theoretical problem with small apertures is not that the lens is any less sharp, but that difraction might become a factor. A few test prints at small apertures should be all it takes to find out.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might also consider using a number 2 filter if you are not, that should add about 1 stop to your time.

Paul.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Another easy option is to install a lower wattage bulb in your enlarger.
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All very helpful answers, thank you. Russell

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin