Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,523   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Durst Laborator 138s

I'm driving to Houston in a couple of days to pick up a Durst Laborator 138s that I bought in an on-line auction. One of those classic deals: I don't know what I'm actually getting, but it was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up

Now I have a few questions for those who know about these beasts:

1. How easy is it to take the head off for shipping, how do I do it, and what tools do I need to take along for that?

2. Are parts available for these? It comes with 3 condensers and 2 negative carriers but the seller couldn't tell me much about them. I'd like to get the full complement of condensers and carriers and use it for everything from 35mm->5x7.

3. Are parts from other Durst models (G139, for example) interchangeable?

4. Does anyone have the Durst site URL? Google keeps giving me "www.durst-pro-usa.com" but that never works.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks,
    Nathan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Nathan,

Coincidentally I am going to Detroit next weekend from the Cleveland area to pick up
    1½ Durst 138s. I am told they can disassemble to five major parts and pack compactly. My seller moved them in a Dodge Caravan three years ago and APUG owners think I can bring them back in a Toyota Highlander.

Go to http://jensen-optical.com/five.html. They don’t have the 138S up yet,
    but there are links to either read on screen or download Adobe copies of both the 138SP manual and the brochure with pictures and drawings. Also go to the site
    index and see what else is of help and interest http://jensen-optical.com/site_map.htm.

We plan to build one complete unit and modify an existing unit. Keep in touch with your needs. We may have some parts to sell when we get it all together.

Good luck to us both,

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,
    I saw that ebay auction. the 138 was a beauty and the discription of the second sounded as if it was vary usable. The people auctioning it live nearby. Pm me if you need a hand or want to hook up.

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    Coincidentally I am going to Detroit next weekend from the Cleveland area to pick up 1½ Durst 138s...
    Thanks for the links John! I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Nathan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi,

I have the same model ... the manufacturers site is http://www.durst.it/

The only really anoying is the price for spare bulbs ... Just working on it to replace it with halogene lamps.

Horst
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

Shooter
    35mm
    The condensers. negative carriers, lens boards and light sources are interchangeble between the 138s.139g,s45,em45. The enlarger can be broken down into three pieces w/o the use of tools. Easy to put back together also.

You are in for a treat. I have a Dust s45 and I love it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have had three of these. The enlarger can be broken down fairly easily. To answer your question, the head will remove from the carriage by loosening four retainers (this will require tools). Some of these are allen head and some are Phillips head. Lower the table and the head as much as possible befor you begin doing this.

The column can be separated at the center by loosening two retainers (all that I have seen are knob type retainers) The table is removed from the support by loosening the center knob. The column is removed from the base by loosening knob type retainers.

Ultimately the enlarger is broken down into five major pieces.

I would recommend removing the front surface mirror (open the head front access panel). Also remove and securely package the condensors, the UV/heat resistant glass, and the light bulb.

The Durst 138,138S, and the 139 do share a large number of parts but there are distinct differences between these models.

Durst does recommend, for best performance, the appropriate condensors matched with the proper focal length lens to accurately collimate and focus the light bundle at the nodal point of the lens. For 5X7 these would be a pair of 240 condensors matched to a 210 mm enlarging lens. For 4X5 these would be a 240 condensor in combination with a 200 condensor matched with a 150 mm enlarging lens. As focal length of lens is changed the condensors should be changed to those that are appropriate. These condensors include the 85, 130, 160, 200, and 240. There are also specific condensors for differing light sources. For instance a point light source requires specific condensors that are different from the more common.

There has not been any one single change that I have made in the last twenty one years of photography that has materially improved my prints as much as switching to the Durst condensor enlarger. Good luck with your purchase.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just returned from Jens Jensen place in Portland and whatever you need for the 138 series, he has or is having remanufactured. He is Durst for 5x7 and larger enlarging equipment. He was a very gracious and excellent host.

This was the end stage of the Per Volquartz initiated LF workshop along the Oregon Coast. We aslo paid a visit to Christopher Burkett's studio earlier that day, another gracious host. What a production he has there. We also got a nice showing of 20 or more of his prints.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the info, of course that leads to more questions

I've noticed that there are several trade names for Durst condensers, am I correct in assuming that the ones labeled "laticon" are for the 138s?

Thanks,
    Nathan

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Latico are the condensors for 138, 138S, and 139 enlargers

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin