Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,174   Online: 810

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

White or black net tule from a fabric store works wonders. Hold on an embroidery hoop for 10 to 70% of the total time. I like two laysers of the course at 35% for portraits. The fine gets too mushy.
    black spreads less light.

Shooter
    Large Format
    SNIP
    Quote Originally Posted by gma
    Another effective diffusion material is wrinkled cellophane.
    the plastic that boxes of tea are wrapped in works the best.
    don't print through it ( stationary ), but pass it through the projected image - once, twice &C depending on how much you want to soften the image.

-john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not a fan myself of diffusion under the enlarging lens for the reasons GMA states, but sometimes it's an interesting effect.

If you're after a natural look, try a #1 softar under the enlarging lens for maybe 40% of the exposure time.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A new technique I developed is with multigrade papers:
    I use the diffusion on a soft grade, like 0 and then burn with a harder greade like 5
    -without- the pantyhose. The effect gives you soft and dreamy highlights devoid of
    grain and sharp outlines and shadows. It works very well with close up shots of women and the greek sun drenched landscape.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    It works very well with close up shots of women and the greek sun drenched landscape.
    Ahah....that explains the underwear and pantyhose...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A visit to a fabric store will show a number of fabrics that work well for spreading shadows into highlights or vice a versa. A material called black Toole works very well, for less difussion burn a hole in the center. The wedding department has all kinds of material used for veils. To hold the diffusion material use embroidery hoops, I like the wooden ones, they match my old woodie cameras and give me a since of continuity. A slight spritz of hair spray on clear glass under the lens is one of the best diffusors I know of.
    If you don't like what you get clean the glass and try again. Less seems to work well for me.

A piece of wedding veil with a hole in the center over or slightly in front of your lens where a bit of your main light can hit it really helps to soften edges of "high Key" photos. Kleenix, even colored with a hole gives great results.

I am also not a fan of this procedure, but I have tried it and on some occasions and have used it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a friend that has made some beautiful prints by immersing the paper in a water bath BEFORE exposure. Then he floats a sheet of tissue paper on top of the water and lifts the paper out, sticking the wet tissue paper to the printing paper. He then exposes the print as usual, develops, et cetera. It makes a very slightly soft rendition and any slight wrinkles in the tissue are a quite beautiful effect too. Before development, I should add, he uses a water bath to remove the tissue, it will float right off if you do things with the right touch.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    This sounds like and amazing technique, thanks for sharing this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    I have a friend that has made some beautiful prints by immersing the paper in a water bath BEFORE exposure. Then he floats a sheet of tissue paper on top of the water and lifts the paper out, sticking the wet tissue paper to the printing paper. He then exposes the print as usual, develops, et cetera. It makes a very slightly soft rendition and any slight wrinkles in the tissue are a quite beautiful effect too. Before development, I should add, he uses a water bath to remove the tissue, it will float right off if you do things with the right touch.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    After wearing women's underwear and pantyhose for some time in private occusions...
    To the tune of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland"

Lacy things, the wife is missin'
    Didn't ask for her permission
    I'm wearin' her clothes
    Her silk pantyhose
    Walkin' 'round in women's underwear

In the store, there's a teddy
    Little straps, like spaghetti
    It holds me so tight
    Like handcuffs at night

In the office there's a guy named Melvin,
    He pretends that I am Murphy Brown
    He'll say, "Are you ready?" I'll say, "Whoa Man!"
    "Let's wait until our wives are out of town!"

Later on, if you wanna
    We can dress, like Madonna
    Put on some eyeshade
    And join the parade

Lacy things- missin'
    Didn't ask- permission
    Wearin' her clothes
    Her silk pantyhose

- Bob Rivers

This all makes me wonder how you really broke your toe. Heel break?

In any event, mend fast.

Joe
    Last edited by smieglitz; 10-14-2006 at 04:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    On an enlarger, white will tend to diffuse blacks, and black will tend to diffuse highlights, however the heavier the net, the more effect it will have overall. I usually find fabrics provide too much effect , and have better luck with camera filters. Harrison diffusion is a favorite of mine and comes in grades 1/2 through 5. Does this have anything to do with your broken toe?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin