Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,237   Online: 966

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Images
    The perforated wrappers used for packaging crusty breads works well for me. I cut out a piece to fit into the under-the-lens Ilford holders. One thickness for subtle diffusion and double for stronger effect.
    I used to use crumpled cellophane wrap, but have better control with the perf. wrap.

Black net tule from a fabric store stretched over an embroidery hoop. Get the 1/8 square. Stretch two layers over the hoop out of register and use for 20/60 % of the total exposure.

Women`s hose is too fine and too light.

A real soft focus lens is better, but this works for SLIGHT diffusion effects.

You can also mount the fabric behind the rear element for nice softening. Use finer mesh for this. There used to be commercially made ones for Hasselblad 150mm.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    All right.

I have it, I've tried it, but it seems to be about time I used it for its intended purpose.

What "it" is? A 180mm Voigtländer WZ, of course - to the best of my knowledge, the only intentionally soft enlarger lens ever made!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They used to make a plastic contraption which clamped to the enlarging lens. Turning it would bring clear plastic fingers into the light path. The more they were in the light path the greater the amount of diffusion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only comment I would have on your choice of undergarments, would be, "Whatever works for you, but it ain't my cup of tea."

Now to the meat of the matter. A hundred years ago, or a period of time that seems that long, we would stretch a piece of panty hose over the front of our camera lens and then touch a lit cigarette in the center, to create an area of sharpness. Guess it would still work, but today I'd have to borrow the cigarette from someone else. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Gerald
    It is called a Pictrol and I use it all the time on the camera and on the enlarging lens.
    Only problem is the diameter is only good up to 90mm lens on enlarger so it is tough to use on 4x5.
    one of its great attributes is the sharp center to controllable softer edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch View Post
    They used to make a plastic contraption which clamped to the enlarging lens. Turning it would bring clear plastic fingers into the light path. The more they were in the light path the greater the amount of diffusion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You should check out using vellum(tracing paper) in contact with the paper. Varying distance between vellum and paper give more/less diffuse results that still retain a bit of sharpness when in contact. Really nice.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    ... A 180mm Voigtländer WZ, of course - to the best of my knowledge, the only intentionally soft enlarger lens ever made!
    - And the WZ has some odd thread that doesn't fit any of my enlarger boards, and the flange doesn't fit any of my enlargers. Maybe it's S. K. Grimes-time...

In the meantime, I'll revert to using the anti-newton half of Gepe 6x6 slide mounts (with AN glass). Adjust the amount of diffusion by time, about 1/3 of the exposure works great for portraits. I showed that trick to one of the top portrait photographers in Norway - he stopped using pantyhose and bought a box of slide mounts.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've heard it said, but never tried it, that the frosted-glass shelf from a fridge makes a good diffuser. Experiment by using it for only part of an exposure, or part of a split-grade exposure.

...and post your results, please - I'm curious.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin