Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,483   Online: 745

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Pantyhose (enlarger lens diffusion)

After wearing women's underwear and pantyhose for some time in private occusions, I have decided to put them in good use.
    I have heard of the use of feminine hosiery in use under the enlarger lens to create diffusion and soften the enlarged image.
    I did try it the other day and have to say I was astonished by the effect. I also liked a lot the bleeding of the darks in the other values.

My question is this:
    Do materials create a different diffusion effect?

I used a white pantyhose for example of visible mesh. I am sure fishnet would not work, not atleast for this effect, but what other choices do I have? How does the mesh or the color affect the diffusion?
    Maybe a woman photographer can help with this one.

And how about filters? Would filters such as the softening or fog ones create a different effect?

I noticed that the pantyhose diffusion did not affect the quallity or sharpness of the original Hasselblad neg.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    After wearing women's underwear and pantyhose for some time in private occusions, I have decided to put them in good use.
    Nice confession...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shouldn't mention in public what the High Priest wears in those Rodinal Worshipping Orgies. Atleast I am man enough to come forward.

Ok, anyone on the technical subject?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    I shouldn't mention in public what the High Priest wears in those Rodinal Worshipping Orgies.
    Oh no....that is a secret! Only the involved will know!

About the primary subject: I always use black pantyhose for diffusion as I suspect the white fabric will reflect light.
    I diffuse either in the darkroom or when taking the picture. It slips nicely over the lens.

Just remember to take them off your loved one beforehand. Else it will bring a lot of hassle to your work.
    Last edited by modafoto; 05-30-2005 at 08:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A man after my own heart! Try the black variety and see what you think about effects. tim

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might prefer using diffusion filtration over the camera lens rather than on the enlarger. On the camera the highlights bleed into the other tones. On the enlarger the dark tones bleed into the other tones. Very different effects.

Another effective diffusion material is wrinkled cellophane.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use dark nylon , black under the enlarger , sometimes I use the mesh in the split filtering method.. This is when I want he highlights and upper midtones softer but the blacks well defined I will use the nylon during the 0 exposure and not for the 5.
    If I want the shawdows to be soft and blurry and the highlights and upper midtones well defined I will use the nylon under the 5 exposure and not for the 0 exposure.
    Works well .

Shooter
    35mm
    The only worthwhile sugesstion that I can give you is to remove the garments before using for diffusion purpose...you wouldn't want to spread yourself to thin.

Also try a piece "anti-newton" coverglass in the double-glass 6X6 slide mount too, held under the lens; you might like the subtle result.

By the way, adding a sight tough of diffusion during printing will also reduce the apparent graininess of the image, but you might have to crank up the contrast too. Just a thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Printing through the back of the paper (on purpose this time ) gives an interesting effect. I have also used soft focus filters and AN glass as suggested above. All good fun. Shooting moss covered forest trees and diffusing in the enlarger gives a very spooky effect...

Bob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin