Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,243   Online: 892

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Enlargment Mathematics

Alright, half my brain doesn't work, I am pretty much braindead when it comes to mathematics. So I am asking you mathematically non-challenged people a simple question:

To enlarge a 6x6cm negative with a 80mm lens up to 48x48cm (on a 50x60cm -20x24" paper) what should be the distance from the negative plan to the paper?

I am working on my darkroom and I need to see if I need a new table as I will be rearanging certain elements such as wall hanging the enlarger.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest that you mount higher and farther from the wall than the required minimum dimensions to allow for cropping.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Z=(m+1)f

Z = distance from the lens to the baseboard

m = magnification

f= focal length

So Z=(8+1)8.0

Z=72 cm

Roughly. The focal length of your lens is likely a little off the nominal 80mm. You need to measure from the right spot. Still should be pretty close.

The negative to the lens is:

X=(m+1)/m*f

X=(8+1)/8*8

X=.14cm

I'm assuming 48cm from 6cm is 8x magnification. You can check the formula with smaller enlargements on your enlarger.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The numbers posted by the previous member are very incorrect. For a 10.4 X magnification the distances are theoretically:

negative to lens is 88 mm ( NOT 0.14 cm ??? )
    lens to easel is 920 mm

Keep in mind that the lens has thickness. As I mentioned previously please consider cropping and allow extra distance from the wall and extra height. I like to use a counter that can be adjusted lower than I typically use.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    127 Format
    For a "thin" lens

F/f=W/w

where:

F=Paper-Lens
    f=neg-lens

W=paper width
    w=neg width

For a 10x enlargement W/w = 10 so F/f=10 (approx)

This agree's with GMA
    90mm x 10 (aprox=) 90 cm.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Let's see. Put the negative in the enlarger. Turn off the room light, turn on the safelight. Raise the enlarger. Focus the image. When the image is the size you want, measure the height from the enlarger to the baseboard.

So far, you have two answers and they both disagree. Practicality trumps science every time. This is the difference between scientists and engineers...
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup did the math wrong for the negative to lens distance. It's 9cm.

Which formula are you using to figure lens to paper distance? Or are you using a different magnification factor?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nick and GMA are using different magnification factors (8x and 10.4x, respectively). I think Nick is judging by the nominal frame size of 6x6 cm, and GMA is assuming a slightly smaller more realistic frame size, plus a little crop space.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget that the focal length gets shorter as you rack in the bellows for larger print size. Find a rule of thumb. Avoid the calculus.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1/focal length of lens = 1/distance lens to film + 1/ distance lens to easel

1/80mm = 1/ 88mm + 1/ 918mm

Magnification = 918/88 = 10.4 X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin