Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,412   Online: 750

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hocus focus

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

hocus focus

At the Les McClean workshop in Texas Les (or someone) had a focusing aid called a "Hocus Focus" Very clever little gizmo. I can't find it online for sale anywhere. Does someone know where to get it? It was invented by Bob Mitchell I think from what I'm seeing online.

Thanks,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well, I found it (from Nova) in England for 17 bps. It looks like Jobo should be carrying it here, but they don't seem to have it. Nova doesn't list it anymore though.

Anyone know of a supplier in the U.S?

Thanks,

Will

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Will,

Could you post link to this Hocus Focus? I am sorta interested in one of those also.

lee\c

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This site lists them online:

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/

Thanks,

Will

(lee - read my pm)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am interested, too, but maybe not for around $30 plus shipping from England. :o

David

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

not available?

The site in England that has them online says they can't sell them in the U.S. because Jobo has the distribution rights. Of course, Jobo doesn't sell them anymore....

I emailed the UK site back to see if they would sell to me anyway, but it looks like we may need someone in the UK to place the order and them mail them to the U.S.

It looks like this is another great product that is scheduled for extinction, wiped out by the digital meteor....

I'll let you know if the UK site agress to sell them in the US.

Thanks,

Will

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It could also be that Jobo the USA company, not the parent company is going out of business. This is not to say that Jobo the parent company is, just the USA seperate company is. They are making sure that all of their products that they carry are distributed by other companies.

This makes it so that the link to the company in England is going to be the only one through which you can buy this focus thingy. Letting the English company know the facts, will probably let them arrange for you to buy them direct. My big question would also be, does that price in Pounds reflect the added VAT they have in the EU or is that before the VAT. It might make a big difference in price.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would be interested in one of these as well...let me know if you find a source.

thanks,
    Mike
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite right if they don't want to go against their contract with Jobo by selling in the US.

However if you order from Nova direct the point of sale is here in the UK, not the US. So they aren't being truthful, as that would not be a case of selling in the US.

I'd be happy to buy & ship for you, insured postage would be around $4. Cheaper per item if I sent more in the same package.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Will S
    The site in England that has them online says they can't sell them in the U.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The instructions here (http://www.novadarkroom.com/instruct...hocusfocus.htm) and picture (http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...Magnifier.html) might give some idea. Be aware that there is no magnification: what you see is what is on the easel, but 2 or 3 stops brighter. The image is projected by a mirror onto the underside of a frosted section of the finder. Because of the coarseness of the frosting, you can't focus on the image grain, even with a loupe, only on detail on the negative, but it happily works into the corners as long as you have some detail there.

The Firstcall price of 17GPB includes VAT so it would be 14.47 GBP outside the EU.

Bob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin