Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,941   Online: 1078

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Will S
    If I might make a somewhat obvious observation, an enlarger head capable of enlarging to AZO that cost less than a used car (my current vehicle is valued at around $500 for example) would greatly increase the sales of AZO.

Remember, you give the razor away free and sell the blades...

Just in case anyone is listening..

Thanks,

Will

Azo is going away...why should anyone want to sell more Azo when no more is being manufactured?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Azo is going away...why should anyone want to sell more Azo when no more is being manufactured?
    I'm just guessing that in all likelyhood someone else is thinking about manufacturing a silver chloride paper. Whether it is AZO or something similar who can say?
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Don, there will be silver chloride paper with Azo characteristics.

I agree about the price of the enlarging head. I did not set the price. If enough units can be sold the cost would come down significantly. I will ask the inventor at what sales volume could the price drop. All reports from users so far indicate that the results using this new light head are excellent.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    Don, there will be silver chloride paper with Azo characteristics.

I agree about the price of the enlarging head. I did not set the price. If enough units can be sold the cost would come down significantly. I will ask the inventor at what sales volume could the price drop. All reports from users so far indicate that the results using this new light head are excellent.

Michael,

I am happy to hear that. My point was directed to the comment that the head should be discounted or given away in order to sell more Azo. That is all that I was commenting on. The comparison to razors and razor blades seemed like faulty economics to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The razor/razor blade economic theory only works if the same person is selling both. Since Michael's only acting as a distributor for the enlarging heads, he isn't in a position to set prices to generate more Azo sales; I'm sure the person making the heads wants to generate as much profit as possible and has set a price point that he/she believes will accomplish that.

I've done lots of contact prints onto Azo and I absolutely love the paper. I wish I could use it for enlargements, but unless I figure out how to build my own enlarger head I'll be stuck with contact printing only, as the current enlarger head is way out of my price range. I love contact printing onto Azo...but I'd love to open up more options for myself with the paper. For now, though, I'm just happy that I have Azo available to work with.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Kodak listened.. they are discontinuing the AZO paper. Not the result you were thinking of?

So we have direct proof you CAN enlarge onto AZO. It just takes exposures of several minutes. What I do not understand is why that is a problem. SUre, it takes a while, but why would you be in a wet darkroom if you are in a rush? The enlarger is stable, so long exposures should not be an issue. BTW, if you were contact printing with your enlarger as the light source, the times would be the same. It is only with a bare bulb that you get shorter times.....because you can use a brighter bulb.

It is all a matter of patience, vs a big negative.
    Frank Filippone

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I dont see why you couldn't enlarge either.. what is this Azo stuff anyways? Im just in the process of building my first darkroom, I'd rather just learn to use the right paper from the start.. If I was in a hurry Id be using my Inkjet.

I had been told that Oriental Seagull Fibre was the best paper.. is Azo better than this?

Daniel.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Regarding exposure times with a suitable bulb, I think a several minute exposure in no problem at all. When I print Pd/Pt my exposures in a BL fluorescent bulb box are 20 min and up. Not a problem. Do something else while it cooks.

I am the one that started a thread about using a spiral BLB fluorescent in an enlarger in the Azo Forum (http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/AzoForum)and I assure you it works with the right diffusion to even the light. Print times are slower than what you might be used to for regular silver printing but reasonable.
    Linas Kudzma

With the new enlarging light head exposures are in the 20-45 second range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to make a head for my Durst 138 using 4 20 watt spiral black light flourescent bulbs. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but haven't had the time. Things are a bit calmer here now and I hope to put something together as a test in the next few days. I hope to get fairly short exposure times using 4 bulbs- I'll report back when I have some results to share.

Richard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin