Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,141   Online: 909

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Why Not Enlarge on Azo?

Are there any reasons not to enlarge onto Azo other than excessive exposure time? My cold light enlarger was burning holes in my easel until I hooked it to a rheostat, so I have begun to wonder if it might have enough oomph to enlarge successfully onto Azo.

jk

Images
    I believe that Michael A. Smith mentioned someone making an enlarger with a light source powerful enough to enlarge on Azo.
    And someday maybe we will find out whether Sean's monster enlarger can print 8x10 negs onto big Azo paper. I keep looking for a glow in the Southwestern sky
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    While there ar epeople out there that say it is impossible, that sounds like baloney. The stuff is sensitive to photons. So why not enlarge?

It is slow. Somone told me ISO 6. COmpalre this to what I remember Ilford MGiv at 160. It is slow.

It may also be more blue sensitive. I have seen some indirect evidence of this.

Anyway, I plan on doing AZO enlargemtns, and if it takes 3 minute enlarger exposiures, I am in no big rush.....
    Frank Filippone

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have a 300 light bulb halogen bulb hanging 4 feet from the printing glass. Some negatives take up to 4 minutes to expose. Good luck with the enlarger!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out the Azo Enlarging thread on the Azo Forum:

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/startframe.html
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are a couple of reasons that typical enlargers don't work well for enlarging Azo. The first is what someone has already mentioned...the speed of the paper is slow. Secondly Azo is most sensitive to UVA emissions (350-410nm) So conventional cold light heads and halogen lamps don't emit the proper spectrum of light.

Having said that there are ways of enlarging on Azo. They amount to these:
    Michael Smith is handling a 4X5 Azo head for Omega and Bessler (one left at last report)...I think the cost is up around $2,000. Jensen Optical has an 8X10 Azo Durst enlarger that will set you back about $13,000. Some folks are talking about using a spiral BLB bulb but I have questions about eveness of coverage with that. Those appear to be the options.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by colivet
    I have a 300 light bulb halogen bulb hanging 4 feet from the printing glass. Some negatives take up to 4 minutes to expose. Good luck with the enlarger!
    I wish I could get to 1/2 that time. Right now my average AZO contact time is around 5 seconds and that's using a 250W 3400K incandescant at about 30". My negatives "must" be too thin.
    As per recent good advice, I think I'll try "thickening" them up a bit.

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, for thin film I use a 25w bulb in a conventional metal flood lamp holder (spun aluminum type, hardware store). Although the output is puny, the prints are fine. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi

I did in the past printing on AZO true my Jobo LPL enlarger with a 250 watt lamp but with the blue put in on my colorhead and I got times from 1 1/2 to 3 minutes but it worked only with relativ thin negs!
    But for me ist 8x10 to small and for larger it would not work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I might make a somewhat obvious observation, an enlarger head capable of enlarging to AZO that cost less than a used car (my current vehicle is valued at around $500 for example) would greatly increase the sales of AZO.

Remember, you give the razor away free and sell the blades...

Just in case anyone is listening..

Thanks,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin