Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,509   Online: 1297

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Selenium Chicken anyone

Images
    Mmmmmm.. Boeuf au Dektol
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Selenium toning aside, there shouldn't be anything toxic left in a print that's been archivally washed. The level of residual thiosulfate isn't anything to worry about (thiosulfate isn't terribly toxic) and the only other chemical likely to be present is sulfite, which has been used as a food preservative at much lower purity than photographic grade.

Further, most food heated in microwave ovens is on a plate, or at least a paper towel, and doesn't directly contact the inside surface of the cavity.

I wouldn't worry about it after drying properly washed prints. I would want a dedicated unit if using it to heat solvents (such as propylene glycol or TEA) for mixing developers, due to the possibility of toxic spatters.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    even a selenium toned print, if properly washed should not leave a toxic residue.
    As per heating Propylene Glycol and TEA don;t worry too much, both can be used in food applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Selenium toning aside, there shouldn't be anything toxic left in a print that's been archivally washed. The level of residual thiosulfate isn't anything to worry about (thiosulfate isn't terribly toxic) and the only other chemical likely to be present is sulfite, which has been used as a food preservative at much lower purity than photographic grade.

Further, most food heated in microwave ovens is on a plate, or at least a paper towel, and doesn't directly contact the inside surface of the cavity.

I wouldn't worry about it after drying properly washed prints. I would want a dedicated unit if using it to heat solvents (such as propylene glycol or TEA) for mixing developers, due to the possibility of toxic spatters.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    I think that those frozen microwave Burritos that you can buy in the supermarrket are much more toxic. A little fixer would probably improve them.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin